Benji

Beeping.

It was the first sensation.

The electric, buzzing annoyance pulsing directing into my ear. I scowled.

"Somebody turn that shit off," I groaned, rubbing my eye.

"Benji?"

My eyes opened into slivers and Lily was sitting beside me in a wheelchair, eyes big and hopeful.

"Lily," I whispered.

And then I saw Vic standing beside her. I sighed in relief.

"You're okay," I breathed.

I moved my right arm slightly and an unbearable sting shot up my limb. I screamed.

I looked down at stark white bandages covering most of my right arm. I blinked, remembering the whoosh of fire exploding out Lily's room, how I covered my face with my arm, and the way my flesh had melted off the bone.

"Damn," I said. "Well this sucks."

"Doctors say it'll take up to three weeks to heal with minimal scarring." Vic said.

"Three weeks with this shit? You've got to be fucking kidding me."

"You're the idiot that ran into a burning building." Lily retorted.

I narrowed my eyes, examining her.

"You're getting worse," I said, noting her pale skin, sunken eyes, and the rashes running up her arms.

Lily looked down.

"I know."

Vic, beside me, gulped.

"We lost the money in the fire," he whispered. "There won't be any surgery for a while."

"There won't be any surgery at all," Lily corrected.

My eyebrows furrowed.

"Where are my clothes?" I asked, looking down at the hospital gown.

"Why?" Vic asked.

"Just bring them here," I said.

"They said they put all your belongings into a plastic bag," he said, sauntered up to the end of my bed. There was a table sitting quietly, under the TV, with a plastic bag on it. Vic grabbed it and handed it to me. I ripped it open and searched my pockets, pulling out the wads of green. It was amazing nobody had found it.

"I went back in for the money," I said, handing it to Vic. "It's all there."

Vic looked to Lily. A tear rolled down her cheek.

"I'm going to be okay?" She asked.

I nodded.

"Like, really, actually, properly okay? For good?" She asked.

"Yes," Vic said.

She looked at me, hopeful.

"Thank you," she whispered. "For everything."

"Don't thank me until you're healthy," I told her.

Vic, overwhelmed, kissed Lily's head and then looked at me. I've never looked into more grateful eyes. He leaned down and hugged me tightly, causing the burn in my arm to sting and swell. I winced, but I didn't stop him.

"Thank you," he murmured.

I smiled.

"No problem."

© A.G. Travers 2015