A Spinner 'Round the Block

On the lawn of a house that belonged to a muggle man stood a 1974 4-cylinder, twin-engined Triumph Bonneville motorcycle in cranberry red with a shiny headlamp and black detailing. Sirius Black sat on the wall of the church in Godric's Hollow, across the street from the house, just staring at the beauty that was the sunlight reflecting off the shiny body of that beautiful motorbike. He sat there now, back against the stone, arms around his knees. James sat beside him, staring down at a book that was opened across his lap - a Transfiguration textbook from the past term.

"Look at it, Prongs," murmured Sirius, "Just look at it."

"I've seen it, it's lovely," James replied without looking up at the motorbike.

Sirius licked his lips. "You know, that color is a rare one. The cranberry red? It's limited edition. They usually come in more of a cherry, sports-car-red."

"That's wonderful, Pads," James replied in a monotone, not really listening. He'd heard this already a hundred times.

"The color reminds me of Gryffindor. It's a bloody house bike."

"Uh huh." Again, something he'd heard a hundred times in less than a month.

"You reckon he'd sell it?" Sirius questioned.

James said, "What're you going to buy it with?"

"I'm nearly sixteen, surely I could get a job..."

"You're fifteen and a half," James corrected.

Sirius sighed.

James turned back to his book.

Suddenly, Sirius jumped up off the stone wall and started off across the street.

James closed the book. "Sirius? ....Padfoot?" He sighed and tucked the textbook into the bookbag slung 'round his shoulders and hurried to catch up to Sirius. "Bloody hell, Pads, what are you doing?"

Sirius was in the driveway and kneeling beside the motorbike, taking a closer look at it. "Imagine this thing, magically modified, flying through the air..."

James raised an eyebrow. "You can't even drive it. Remember last time you drove a motorbike? You ruddy exploded a house with it."

Sirius looked over and grinned. "Yes, my dear cousin's house." He waved his arms in amusement and made an exploding noise, eyes sparkling. "I wouldn't explode any houses with thisbike, though, it's far too marvelous."

Suddenly the front door of the house opened and a muggle man came out. He was a youngish man, maybe in his twenties. Sirius and James stood up, caught in the act of being too close to the motorbike. The man was pulling on a leather jacket, very similar to Sirius's as he walked toward them. "Hello... can I help you?" he asked, a suspicious tone to his voice.

"I'm just admiring your motorbike," Sirius said.

The man studied him a moment, eyes looking over Sirius's popped collar and the shine of hair product in his perfectly set mane. He glanced at the uneasy-looking James, with him unruly mop, and then back to Sirius.

"It's the most beautiful motorbike I've ever seen," Sirius added reverently.

"Thanks," the man answered. He sidled over and swung his leg over the seat, planting his feet on the ground on either side and kicking back the stand.

"How's it handle?" Sirius asked.

"Smooth," answered the man.

Sirius nodded, "Like butter, I bet."