Sirius's Defense

Sirius's Defense

James was sitting at the Gryffindor table during his free period, straddling the bench, reading the new Transfiguration textbook, waiting for the other three Marauders, and trying some of the spells in the book on a water goblet that stood before him on the table. He'd already successfully turned the water goblet into a raven and back again twice. There were a couple students at the Ravenclaw table glancing over his way, impressed with his skill, whispering to one another each time the water goblet let out a squawk.

Sirius came in, carrying his Muggle Studies book and ink pot, his quill stuck up in his hair, which he'd pulled back into a messy knot at the back of his head. He dropped onto the bench on the opposite side of James. "My boyfriend's always busy, he's never going to be free, he's a bloody father practically. I hate those children. I want them all to go away and give me my Moony back." Sirius dropped the book onto the table with a thump, knocking the goblet over and putting his face down on the table.

James reached over and righted his goblet. "Be a bit more dramatic, Sirius," he said.

"It's true," Sirius whined. "I've seen him for about a grand total of ten minutes last night and I was so fucking tired that I didn't get to enjoy it! I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow!" He looked frazzled.

"You've just spent an entire class with him, you git; two in a row, actually!"

"That doesn't count!" Sirius said, "Blimey - wouldn't count if it was you and Maryrose, now would it?"

James hesitated. He thought it rather might, actually, and he shrugged and turned back to the Transfiguration book a moment before aiming his wand at the water goblet, "Cisne alterar," he said, turning it into swan. The swan was a bit silver 'round the neck but for the most part he'd done alright at it, considering they'd never learnt the spell in a class.

Sirius stared up at the bird, then looked at James, "You can't seriously be thinking it might count if you only got to see Maryrose in classes. I mean, when the bloody hell would you snog?"

"Ah yeah, true," James murmured. "I'd snog her in the hall between classes, I s'pose. Then it'd count..."

Sirius said, "See, Moony won't even let me do that. He's too bloody afraid of the damn Slytherins!" He slammed his palm on the table top. "It's stupid. I don't understand why he doesn't trust me that I'd ruddy protect him from them if they started any of their usual rubbish! I don't think they have the balls to do it anyway, not this year, not with Gideon and Fabian Prewett in the castle watching."

James shrugged, "Dunno. Alterar reverso!" He waved his wand and the swan went back to being a water goblet - except the goblet had webby feet now. He frowned as the goblet waddled about the table between them. "Damn." He aimed at the feet again, "Alterar reverso!" And finally he had just a regular water goblet before him.

"Good one, James," Sirius said, though he looked deep in thought.

James said, "Perhaps you ought to talk to him about it."

"Talk to him about it?" Sirius raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah," James nodded, "Maryrose says conversation is important. I'm supposed to have one with her tonight, apparently. She says if I want to keep on snogging her I have to have a conversation and get to know her better or something like that. I dunno."

Sirius shook his head, "Women."

"I know."

Sirius looked up as Peter joined them at the table, brandishing a bit of parchment in his hand excitedly, "Look at this, guys." He handed the parchment to Sirius.