Tension in the Entrance Hall

Maryrose Jenkins and James Potter collided with one another in the entrance hall, both having their heads down and not watching where they were going. James's glasses were knocked askew and Maryrose stumbled backwards, nearly toppling over. Before he realized who it was, James had struck out his arm to catch her and he ended up bent forward, holding her at an angle, staring down into her face through half-blurred vision. "Hullo, then," he said awkwardly.

"Hullo," she replied, equally awkwardly.

James carefully uprighted her and she reached up to straighten his glasses with a shaky hand, and they stared at one another, each recognizing the heartbreak in the other's eyes. "Are you alright?" he asked her.

"I -- " Maryrose didn't know how to answer. It had been a very long while since she'd been alright.

"Maryrose, wait!" It was Regulus Black, coming running out of the Great Hall and behind him came Peter Pettigrew, who rushed past and up the stairs without a pause, snuffling all the way. James was about to go after him when Regulus said, "I want to go to Hogsmeade with you. Please."

James turned 'round to look at the boy with a shocked expression on his face. "What?"

Maryrose flushed, ignoring James's surprise, and muttered, "Regulus, I dunno if I still want to go with you after what's just happened."

"I'm sorry!" Regulus pleaded.

"What's just happened?" James asked and suddenly he was really angry feeling. It welled up in him like a burn. "What'd you do to her, you little bastard?" He raised his wand at Regulus.

"Put that down!" Maryrose shouted at him, grabbing at James's wrist, and she squealed when she saw Regulus had drawn his, too. "Regulus! Don't!"

Then there came a voice from the doorway, "Of course. James Potter, the great fifth year Quidditch Captain, standing about bullying third years. I'd lower my wand if I was you, Potter." It was Severus Snape and he had his wand raised, too, directly at James.

Maryrose whimpered and shook her head, "Please, the lot of you!"

"Snivellus," growled James, and he redirected his wand, "I know it's hard, seeing as you have an abnormally large nose, but try your hand at keeping it out of other people's business every now and again."

Severus scoffed, "And how is this situation any of your business, exactly?"

"Because Maryrose is my --" he paused, "Was my --"

"Precisely, Potter.. Was. You broke her and now you're jealous over the pieces. You can't have everything, whatever your privileged little life has taught you. Suppose it's about time you bloody learned."

James glared at him, "And what is it you think I have? Lily Evans? No and you've made damn sure of that, haven't you? Since the very first day on the Hogwarts Express you've worked to turn her against me. Tell me, Snape, what is it you've got against me? Ey?"

Severus snorted, "What have I got? You and your murdering friend, Sirius Black - a great pair you make."

"Murdering?" James eyed Severus, "That's not the first time you've said that. What rubbish are you on about?"

Severus stared at him, but he did not reply. Instead, he continued on, "I didn't turn Lily against you on the Express way back then, you did that yourselves, being bullies and mocking me... Well I'm ten times more powerful than you'll ever dream of being now, Potter, so I recommend, once again, that you lower your wand." His voice was level.