iii. | ❝ on watch. ❞

LOLITA.
iii. | ❝ on watch. ❞

 ❞

"YOU'RE ON WATCH WITH ME, tonight," Shane informed Cassandra, folding his muscular arms casually and leaning against the side of the RV. His jaw was set firmly and a look of steely determination flooded his coffee-coloured eyes, which appeared almost black in the pale moonlight.

The redhead arched an eyebrow, pulling the jacket she'd borrowed from Lori, Rick's wife, closer around her trembling frame. "Are you quite alright?" she inquired, her gaze flickering down to his bulging biceps briefly, before settling on his chiselled features yet again. "You've been in an abominable mood since the others got back from the run."

Shane grimaced, trying to think of an excuse. "Uh.... I'm just not sure how to break the news to Daryl that Rick left his brother in Atlanta."

In reality, his problem was that he had no idea where he stood with the Grimes family, now. He didn't love Lori - their encounter had been brief and instantly regretted by both parties involved - but he had become a kind of father figure to Carl, Rick's son. It made Shane realise how much he wanted to be a dad himself. He had never been able to settle down, and now that the world had gone to shit, there was absolutely no chance of his dreams being fulfilled any time soon.

And Rick? How was he supposed to act around his best friend after he'd spent a night of intimate pleasure with his wife, all under the impression that he was dead and his family left alone and defenceless?

Cassandra interrupted his thoughts with a soft sigh as she turned and clambered up the ladder attached to the side of the RV. Glancing up after her, the curly-haired sheriff's deputy couldn't help catching a glimpse of her lacy red underwear and smooth ivory thighs beneath her skirt. It didn't make him feel uncomfortable in the slightest, however. He was simply left with several explicit - and highly agreeable - thoughts running through his mind.

He shook his head, a breathless chuckle leaving his lips. Don't get your hopes up, bud, he told himself as he followed her and took a seat on one of the two deck-chairs positioned on the roof of the RV. His molten-chocolate orbs flickered down towards the rifle in his hands, his fingertips caressing the trigger lightly. "Ever shot a gun before?" he asked suddenly, turning his head to look at her.

She quirked a brow, a slight smirk curling across her lips as she stretched idly. "Do I look like I've ever shot a gun before?" There was a brief pause, and encouraged by Shane's faintly confused expression, she continued. "I'm English. Guns are illegal over there.... I've never even held one."

"Huh."

"What?"

"Nothin'," he confirmed with a shrug.

Cassandra narrowed her eyes at Shane, wondering what he was thinking. There was a fleeting moment of tranquillity; the pair hearing nothing but the rustle of the leaves in the trees and the steady metronome of their own hearts. Well, until a particularly loud gasp followed by a high-pitched moan cut through the silence and caused both Shane and Cassandra to shoot each other a look.

Shane grimaced, shaking his head. "Sounds like Lori's happy now that Rick's back."

The strawberry blonde beauty arched an eyebrow flawlessly at the distinct bitterness in his tone. "You like her, don't you?" She tilted her head curiously, her big, brown doe-eyes harbouring a vibrant reflection of the light dusting of stars that seemed to almost smile down at these two unknowingly alike survivors.

He chuckled darkly, his Herculean chest rumbling as he reached up to run a hand through his rumpled curls absentmindedly. "Honestly? Nah." He paused, simply gazing out in the direction of the Grimes' family tent as he wondered whether or not he should tell her. "It was a one-time thing. We swore we'd never do it again, but...."

"It's awkward," she nodded, a sympathetic smile curling across her lips as she took in the slight furrow at his brow and the tension in his jaw.

Shane blinked at the sudden softness in her tone, surprised that she seemed to understand in a way that most others wouldn't. Many wouldn't even take the heavy burden of guilt that he bore into consideration, let alone try and comprehend what he was going through. "Yeah.... I just.... I don't know, man." He blew out a heavy sigh, leaning his head back and closing his eyes.

"It's not like how it used to be," Cassandra ventured quietly. "Things will get better.... I promise. You'll be preoccupied with more important things, soon enough."

⠀༚⠀⠀༷⠀⠀ྃ