Chapter One

Scotty's P.O.V

"Ring" "Ring" "Ring"

My shoulders sag in relieve as the final bell rang ending my day in hell, I mean high school. I gather my notebooks and writing material in my old and tattered backpack. As I head out of the classroom and make the trek to my locker and avoid the feet seeking to trip me and do me harm and maneuver through the sea of adolescent bodies.

I ignore the leers and snarls of my fellow classmates as I stand in front of my locker. The layers of graffiti and hateful words permanently etched into the locker has long been ignored by the school faculty. These people are such closed-minded ninnies that it boggles my mind every day as to how people can outright hurt people they do not even try to understand. So what if I am gay. So what if I am an Omega. I was still born and raised in this pack like everyone else here. Everyone likes to try and forget that detail. The Dark Forest Pack is no place for diversity. Being an Omega doesn't mean I am useless. I have little to no muscle mass and was never taught how to fight. How can I get stronger if I am never given the chance to grow stronger? Denying me has only made me weaker to humans and were's alike.

I never meant to come out. I never meant to lose my temper like that. It wasn't worth yelling "So what if I am gay!" no matter how good it felt. The beating I received immediately after was more than enough to squash that small satisfaction I received for standing up for myself. I just wished things would have gone better but there is no sense in wishing for something that happened in the past to change. It happened and there is nothing any of us can do about it. It doesn't mean I don't miss the days where I was just a lowly Omega. I was ignored more than half the time but when I came out I went from being silently hated and ignored to schoolwide abomination and punching bag. I was invisible, and I was okay with that. I guess I should be grateful that I am even allowed an education. Most Omegas are expected to stay at a packs beck and call 24/7. Since some of my daily duties are sometimes the homework of teenage pack members or I need to prepare extremely large meals. I need to have at least a basic education for that. They generously are letting me finish out my high school years. They don't need to know that I plan to abandon them for a college.

I slam my locker door shut as I emerge from my thoughts and look around the deserted hallways. I quickly shuffle out of the school's exit, race across the barren parking lot, and started my hour-long walk back to my home. I don't bother holding in the scoff that escapes my throat at the thought of my home. A termite infested shack is more like it. I take out the phone that one of the pack members threw out because it was outdated, cue eye roll, and claimed it as my own. I also take out my earbuds and shove them in my ears and blast a random song at full volume to help pass the time a bit quicker. Some people don't realize how good their situation is. They are not ridiculed by their pack mates because of something they can't help. They are born with a chance. Opportunity is always waiting at their doorstep. Obviously, there are expectation set on them by their parents or guardians, but still, they have choices. I would kill to have an opportunity like that.

About 15 minutes through my walk I feel the ground rumble as a vehicle quickly approaches. An all-black Jeep Wrangler tears past me with music pumping out the open windows. I stop in my tracks and try and wave away some of the dust that has gathered around me. I glare in the direction of the jeep. That was quite rude. They didn't even slow down a little bit. In fact I think they went full throttle on their acceleration. As I start to move forward again I am suddenly immobile. Past the smell of the dust and motor oil, I catch a whiff of an intoxicating smell. It reminds me of a spot deep in the forest where there is a waterfall. It is just beyond the pack's borders into neutral territory. The only creatures that go there are some deer and rabbits who use the connected stream as a waterhole. It reminds me of peace and safety. I am ripped from my stupor by the sound of screeching tires and the smell of burning rubber. About 100 ft down the road I see that the Jeep Wrangler that emitted such a mind-numbing smell was haphazardly parked on the side of the road. The driver's side door and both passenger side doors slam open as three hulking figures emerge from the jeep. Even with my poor excuse of enhanced senses, I can see as they each raise their nose into the air and take a deep breath. Each imposing figure is slowly turning in my direction. I've been in enough tough situations through my life to know that this does not bode well for my life if I stay here. I start to quickly scan my surroundings for an escape route. The only things around me are trees in every direction and a road that cuts right between the trees, dividing it, before it stretches for miles which unfortunately, leads to the three figures slowly stalking towards. Quickly making my decision I run for the trees and try and seek refuge in its great big foliage.

I am as curious about these men chasing me as I am terrified of them. I jump over a shrub and pump my scrawny legs as fast as I can carry myself. A mixture of green and brown blur past me as I run from the unknown as it stalks me like its prey. I can hear their footfalls about 50 ft from me. Why are they chasing me? I have never seen these men before and have done nothing to anger them as far as I am aware. Making a split decision I decide to scale the thickest tree near me and shimmy myself as high as I can go. When I hear a branch snap about close to me I still my body's movements and try and control my ragged breath. I quickly thought to myself, Man, I need to work out more. The footfall stops around, what sounds like right under me. It is silent for a moment before a deep disembodied voice asks, "Where did they go?" Another voice, a bit deeper and gravely replies back almost instantly, "I don't know but their scent ends around here." After a few moments of silence, the silence is broken by the sound of someone taking a deep breath and growling out "Mate."

Mate!? I scream in my head losing my grip and falling onto the branch below me. The wind gets knocked out of me as my chest collides with the sturdy branch, giving me a clearer view of my pursuers below. Upon hearing the noise I had created, all three men snapped their heads up and stare at me and released a powerful earthshattering growl. It was too much for my body to take. Cut me a break. There is only so much I can take before I break. As blackness flooded my eyes and my body fell limply off the tree branch, I felt at peace oddly enough. Before I faded out of consciousness, my body was enveloped in a blanket of warmth and my skin hummed with a pleasant tingle.

Huh. So, this is what it is like to finally be wrapped in deaths welcoming embrace.