Chapter 1

“Hailey, come on we don’t want you to be late for school!” Finn yelled.

“Coming Daddy!” Hailey shouted back as she came running out of her bedroom with her backpack swinging across her back.

“You got everything you need honey?” He asked, crouching down beside her.

“Yep.” She said popping the  p. “Daddy?” She asked.

“What is it?” He asked, still crouched down next to her.

“I miss mommy.” She said, lowering her sad eyes. “She always used to make my PB and J sandwiches into hearts.” She added.

Finn pulled her into a hug with tears in his eyes. “I know Hailey. I miss her too. But she’s in a better place watching down over us. And she’ll always be in here.” He said with a smile as he poked her heart. She smiled back, but it was a sad, lonely smile.

“Now run along, the bus is here.” He said as he opened the front door for her.

“Bye daddy! I love you!” She shouted as she ran out the door.

“I love you too.” He said. He watched her climb onto the bus and turn around to wave. He lingered at the doorway, even after the bus drove off. He wiped the tears out of his eyes and shut the door.

Finn walked back into his bathroom and stripped down after locking the door. He turned on the shower and jumped in. He took pleasure in the warm water as he washed his hair. After he finished his shower, he got dressed and made coffee. He sat at the table thinking about Hailey. She was being so strong, so brave. Finn didn’t want her to have to go through the things he went through when he was growing up. He tried to shelter her from it, but he couldn’t.

He grabbed his leather jacket and the brown box that had been sitting on his dresser and walked out the front door. He walked a few blocks before reaching his usual corner. He stood against the brick wall of the grocery store. Ten or so minutes passed before a black man wearing a hoodie walked up to him cautiously.  

“How much.” The man said, making sure to keep his head down and his eyes lowered from Finn.

“Sixty.” Finn said firmly. The man pulled out a wad of cash and sorted out sixty dollars. Finn pawed through it and held it up to the light to make sure it was real. He handed the man the brown box and they parted ways.