Chapter 4

*For those of you who don't know, Finn and Jack are twins.

“Uncle Jack is going to come over later.” Finn said as he and Hailey sat on the couch watching cartoons.

“Yay! I haven’t seen him in forever!” She shouted, causing Finn to giggle. He loved seeing her so happy.

“Do you have to go to work tonight?” She asked, hopeful that he’d say no.

“I’m afraid I do honey.” Finn said slowly. He had to work as a night security guard to pay bills and keep food on the table, because drug-dealing was something he did on the side. He hated doing it, but it kept a roof on their heads.

Finn saw Hailey’s smile drop and her eyes lower. “Hey, don’t be sad. You’ll have Jack here; it’ll be like I never even left.” Finn said, trying to cheer her up. She smiled, but it was only a half smile.

About ten minutes later, Finn heard a knock on the door. He stood up to answer it, with Hailey trailing closely behind him. He opened the door and found Jack, his brother, standing in the doorway.

“Uncle Jacky!” Hailey shouted. She jumped into his arms and he swung her around.

“Hey munchkin. Happy Birthday.” He said as he set her down, which made her grin. Finn and Jack did a quick, brotherly hug and they continued into the living room.

“I got you something.” Jack said, crouching down to Hailey’s height. He handed her a white envelope and she tore it open. She pulled out a card with monkeys dancing all over it and opened it up. She held up a twenty dollar bill that was folded inside.

“Thanks uncle Jacky!” Hailey shouted as she hugged him. Finn began making hamburgers for dinner, because Hailey loved them. Jack and Hailey were sitting on the couch watching cartoons while Finn finished up making the burgers.

“Can you put ketchup on mine daddy?” Hailey shouted from the living room.

“Yep!” Finn shouted back from the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator door and pulled out a bottle of ketchup. He opened it and attempted to squeeze some out of the bottle because there was only a little left.

“Hey Finn, where’s your bathroom?” Jack asked from behind him.

“Down the hall, first door on your left.” Finn said as he turned around.

“Okay, thanks.” Jack said as he turned and left the kitchen. Finn walked over to the cabinet and pulled out a bag of hamburger buns. He heard a car door slam outside. He walked over to the window and peeked out the blinds. There was a black van parked outside the house. Four men stood outside, with guns tucked into their pants. Finn ran to the living room.

“Hailey, go to your room and hide in your closet. No matter what happens, no matter what you hear, don’t come out. Do you understand me?” Finn said quickly and fiercely.

Hailey nodded and ran to her room as fast as she could. Finn looked out the window—the men were almost to the door. Finn grabbed a knife off the kitchen counter and stood next to the door, so that when the door opened, he would be out of view. There was a loud knock on the door.

“Jack!” A voice shouted in a sing-song voice. “We know you’re in there.” A few seconds passed and they didn’t say anything. “Fine, you don’t wanna come out? Then we’ll come in.” He shouted in a grimacing voice. The man shot the lock on the door so that he could get in. Four men filed in. Finn punched the first one before they saw him next to the door. He stabbed the next one, but then another one shot Finn in the stomach. Finn fell to the ground instantly. The one who shot him crouched down next to Finn.

“Oh, Jack.” He said. “You should’ve known that no one crosses Don without paying the price.” He added, thinking that Finn was Jack. Jack suddenly burst out of the bathroom and shot one of the men. The one who shot Finn stood up and aimed at Jack, but missed. Jack shot him in the head, and then ran over to Finn.

“F-Finn?” He said, crouched over Finn with tears in his eyes. “Y-You’re gonna be okay. You hafta be.” Jack said, in denial.

“T-Tell…Tell Hailey t-that I love her and that I’ll a-always watch over her.” Finn struggled to say. He turned his head slightly to the side and the muscles in his body relaxed.

“Daddy?” Hailey asked from the hallway. She had an innocent look on her face and tears in her eyes. Jack looked back at her and she ran over to Finn.

She began to shake him. “D-daddy wake up.” She said, still shaking him

“H-Hailey…” Jack began.

“Why isn’t he waking up?” She asked, with tears in her eyes.

“Hailey, he’s not waking up.” He said softly and slowly as he pulled her into a hug.

“N-No!” She yelled. “He has to wake up! He has to!” She shouted, with tears rolling down her cheeks. Jack hugged her tighter and she reached over and held Finn’s lifeless hand.