Chapter 2

Finn walked into the grocery store and into the bakery section. He looked for a while before picking out a chocolate cupcake with hot pink frosting and white sprinkles.

“I’d like that one please.” Finn said as he gestured to the cupcake in the display case.

“I’ll make you a fresh one, sweetie.” Said a middle aged woman with a hair net on behind the counter. A few minutes later she came back with a perfectly made cupcake in her hand.

“That’ll be $2.50.” The woman said as she handed Finn the cupcake. Finn handed her a five dollar bill and she gave him his change. He walked out of the grocery store and to a local antique store run by an old man and his wife. He entered the door and a bell rang as he did so. The smell of floral perfume and dust wafted throughout the air.

“Hi, how are you?” An elderly woman said as she walked stood behind the cash register on the left wall.

“I’m good thanks. I’m looking for my daughter a birthday present. Do you know of anything?” Finn asked politely.

“How old is she turning?” The woman asked.

“She turned six today.” He said.

“Ah, a last minute shopper. Come on, I might have an idea.” The woman said as she gestured for Finn to follow her. Finn followed her through an assortment of thin hallways overflowing with unique things. The woman turned into a hallway filled with boxes and stopped. She handed Finn a silver box decorated with small pearls and swirly designs wrapped around it. Inside the box was red velvet lining with decorative paisley stitching.

“It’s perfect. How much is it?” Finn asked, hoping he’d have enough to buy it for Hailey.

“I believe that’s $15 dollars. If you’re willing to spend a little more, I can show you some pendants to go inside.” She said as Finn was examining the jewelry box.

“That’d be nice, thank you.” Finn said. He followed the woman back up to the counter, where they kept all the jewelry. Finn looked for a moment before finding an antique silver locket with a small floral design on it. The lady saw him eyeing the necklace and opened up the glass to get it out. She handed it to Finn and he held it in his hand, smiling.

“How much is this one?” He asked, still smiling.

“$40—but since it’s your daughter’s birthday and you seem like such a sweetheart, I’ll give it to you for $30.” The woman said smiling.

“Thank you. I’ll take it.” He said as he paid for the necklace and jewelry box.

“Have a nice day.” Finn said as he exited the shop.