Chapter 3

Finn waited on the couch for Hailey to arrive home on the bus. He pulled the cupcake out of the refrigerator and set it on the table alongside the jewelry box. He didn’t have any wrapping paper, so he left it in the brown paper bag that he carried it home in.

He heard the sound of an engine roaring outside the house. He walked outside to greet Hailey as soon as she got off the bus. He stood on the sidewalk as she trotted down the aisle of the school bus and down the steps. As soon as she saw him, she picked up her pace and ran towards him. Finn picked her up into a hug and spun around. He put her down and they began to walk back towards the house together.

“How was school sweetheart?” Finn asked, smiling down at her.

“Good! The whole class sang happy birthday to me!” Hailey said excitedly.

“Well are you ready for your present?” Finn said as he opened the door to the house for Hailey.

“You got me a present?!” Hailey asked eagerly and surprised.

“Of course I got you a present!” Finn shouted with a smile on his face. He escorted Hailey over to the dining room table which was actually in the kitchen. He pulled out a chair for Hailey and she sat down.

“Hold on.” Finn said as he ran into his bedroom. He grabbed the disposable camera off the top of his dresser and ran back to the dining room. He grabbed a lighter out of his front pocket and lit the candle on her cupcake.

“Okay, Smile!” Finn said as he held up the camera.

“Do I get to make my wish now?” Hailey asked, examining her cupcake carefully.

“Yes, make a wish!” Finn shouted. Hailey closed her eyes tight and blew out the candle.

“What’d you wish for?” Finn asked.

“I can’t tell you silly! If I do it won’t come true!” Hailey shouted, causing Finn to laugh.

“You wanna open your present now?” Finn asked as he handed her the brown paper bag. She ripped the bag open and pulled out the jewelry box as her eyes lit up with joy.

“Wow! It’s so pretty!” She exclaimed.

“Open it, there’s something inside it.” Finn said smiling.

Hailey slowly opened the jewelry box, and inside lay the antique locket. Her mouth fell agape as she dangled the necklace in front of her face.

“Do you like it?” Finn asked, as he took another picture.

“I love it! Thank you daddy!” She got up and hugged her dad. She handed the locket so he could put it on her. She lifted up her brown locks and he hooked the clasp. Hailey went back to the table smiling. She sat back down in the chair and began to eat her birthday cupcake.