Eleven

One of my longer chapters ahead! I think this is a fun chapter, and it has some character/relationship development that I hope you guys will enjoy. And hopefully, the length of this can hold you off while I work on updating the rest of my stories! 

Also, I (for those of you who read Pet) think I might be discontinuing the sequel for that. Frankly, as much as I loved that book, I ended in a way that I felt was right. 

Anyways, enjoy reading this chapter, because I loved writing it! I really like Dominic in this scene. 

Chapter Eleven

DOMINIC

Cara walked a few paces ahead of me, her slender arms crossed over her chest, her eyes on the ground. I could sense how upset she was. Caroline was just down in a funk. She felt stuck. But she didn't realize that it was the opposite. I didn't want to trap her. I wanted to set her free and have her be happy and joyous.

My gaze shamefully fell to her cute little rear end. The dark jeans made her legs look delightful, with the boots adding a bit of toughness to her outfit. "Caroline," I called out when she missed the turn.

She paused, looking back at me with guarded eyes. I jerked my head to the trail with a small smile, and she silently moved back onto the right path.

Her dark hair fell in front of her soft brown eyes, and I found myself reaching towards her to brush it behind her ear, but she flinched away from me as if I would hurt her.

I had to push down the growl the rose to my throat. She had no reason to be scared of me. She wasn't doing anything wrong. My wolf was dying to shower her with affection, and yet she wasn't having it. Caroline acted as if I was poisonous, dangerous even. All I wanted to do was take care of her. I knew how upset she was.

"Can I leave you and your friend alone without worrying about you running off, or do I have to stay in the room?"

"I won't run off," she murmured, not looking at me.

I pulled her to a stop, cupping her chin gently. "Look at me and promise."

Cara lifted her tired eyes to meet mine, and I could see the pain and exhaustion plain in them. "I promise."

"Thank you."

~~~

Andrew and Alfie's bond must have been working in overdrive because it was impossible to get Andrew away from his mate.

For the first ten minutes of the visit, Alfie was hugging Cara tightly while she buried her face in his neck. Andrew sat beside them, watching his mate with puppy-dog eyes and I almost wanted to vomit, until I caught myself doing something similar when she pulled back from him.

Cara whispered something I didn't quite catch and Andrew laughed. "Of course you do."

"What did she say?" I asked, even though I was pretty sure what it was.

"She wants to go home with Alfie," Andrew replied.

Caroline glanced at me, as if waiting for me to yell at her. "As long as you just want it, and don't try to do so, we won't have a problem, sugar. I know you miss it. That's okay."

She sighed, turning back to her friend and conversing quietly. The mark was already doing its work. I wanted to be beside her. I wanted her to be talking to me.