The Jersey Devil

According to the legend, Mrs

According to the legend, Mrs. Jane Leeds came from a poor family who eked out an existence in the Pine Barrens of Jersey, a rugged place with vast forests, sandy soil and patches of swamp. In 1735, Mrs. Leeds discovered that she was pregnant with her 13th child. She complained to her friends and relatives that the "Devil can take the next one", and he did. When the baby was born, he was monster! He immediately took on a grotesque appearance and grew to more than 20 feet long, with a reptilian body, a horse's head, bat wings and a long, forked tail. He thrashed about the Leeds home for a bit and then vanished up the chimney. The creature, or the "Jersey Devil" as he was dubbed, began haunting the Pine Barrens.

As the story spread, even grown men declined to venture out at night. It was said that the beast carried off large dogs, geese, cats, small livestock and even occasional children. The children were never seen again, but the animal remains were often found. The Devil was also said to dry up the milk of cows by breathing on them and to kill off the fish in the streams, threatening the livelihood of the entire region.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A teenage girl in southern New Jersey was left alone for the weekend while her parents went to the casinos in Atlantic City. On Saturday night, a terrible storm swept into the area. A heavy rain pounded on the roof. The wind rattled every window and a bolt of lightning knocked out the power in three counties.

All alone in a dark house lit only by candles, the girl was very frightened. But she had her dog with her - a big golden retriever. He wasn't exactly a killer, but at least he was comforting.

When she was ready to go to sleep, the girl took her dog into her room with her and had him lay down beside her bed. Every time thunder crashed over the house, she awoke and reached down her hand. "You still there, Boo?" The dog would lick her hand and the girl was reassured the she was not alone.

Eventually she fell into a deep sleep. At about six in the morning, something dripping in the bathroom woke her. She climbed out of bed and went down the hall. There was her dog, hanging by it's neck from the shower head. Scrawled on the mirror in blood was the message, "The Jersey Devil can lick hands too."