The Black Monk of Pontefract

Jean and Joe Pritchard moved into a modest looking house in the historic town of Pontefract, West Yorkshire, England with their kids Phillip and Diane, and Jean's mother Sarah

Jean and Joe Pritchard moved into a modest looking house in the historic town of Pontefract, West Yorkshire, England with their kids Phillip and Diane, and Jean's mother Sarah. They moved into 30 East Drive in the year 1966. In the year 1966 was the year paranormal accounts began surfacing in the Pritchard Home.

Joe and Jean were the first in the family to come face to face with the spirit, a terrifying cloaked shadow floating over their bed.The spirit almost appeared to be dressed in a dark, flowy, monk's robes.

The entity made it's presence known first to Phillip and Sarah, when the rest of the family was on a summer vacation. They were probably watching tv, or something they would usually do, when dust started raining from supposedly out of nowhere. Then as the dust reached the floor water pools began to form on the floor. When sarah tried to clean up the puddles, and more and more began appearing.

Since then, the family began witnessing things from lights turning off and on again, furniture overturning, pictures being slashed, objects flying or levitating, knocking sounds, objects disappearing and appearing again, foul smells, farmyard noises, heavy breathing sounds, sudden drops of temperature, and a mysterious black-robed figure, all began in '66, and throughout time only began getting more frequent.

As the days went on, the presence at 30 East Drive grew ever more sinister. The poltergeist became aggressive, sometimes slapping faces and shoving members of the family. In one particularly violent instance, Diane was reportedly dragged up the stairs and choked.

The family once asked for help from a local church. The local priest called for an exorcism. The seance only made the demon angrier. The family wondered who and why this spirit was terrorizing them.

One night Jean and Joe got a lick of the identity of the demon, when the monk was floating over their bed.

Tom Cuniff, a paranormal investigator, unearthed a troubled past. Civil wars were fought in Pontefract, King Richard II had been murdered at Pontefract Castle in 1400. The Pritchard house was located directly across from where the town's gallows had stood, and between 1090 and 1539 there was a monastery in the immediate vicinity of the home.

Somehow even more troubling, Cuniff discovered that in the 16th century, there was a Cluniac monk who had been put to death in those gallows for murdering and raping a young girl. Perhaps it was the spirit of this sinister figure who had returned to terrorize the Pritchards.

After that point, 30 East Drive was known as The Black Monk House.

After years, the Pritchards finally moved out of the house. The hauntings seemed to stop as well. Then, in 2012, When the Lights went Out hit the cinema. The movie was based after the happenings in the Black Monk House. After watching the movie, investigators flocked to the house. Many report having "a sense of dread" just walking into the house.

Investigators Nick Groff and Katrina Weidman say that during a record 100 hour lockdown, heard a loud bang on the staircase of the house. When they went to investigate the sound, they were alarmed to see a knife laying on the stairs.

Weidman complained of an awful sensation that felt like a weight upon her, as well as the feeling of being in quicksand. She also felt an intense fatigue, and the need to lie down and rest frequently, which could have been the spirit feeding off of her energy. Nick Groff recalled an encounter in which a ball in the home moved on its own. He asked the poltergeist if it could move the ball, and it did. The spirit felt innocent to him at first. Then he realized that the Pritchard family had originally dismissed it as innocent as well—only to watch it grow violent.