Project MKUltra

(This conspiracy has been proven true)

(This is also the experiment that Eleven from Stranger Things was tested for, just no Demogorgon)

For a long time, the United States government denied that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had been running experiments on citizens from the 1950s onwards. However, a Freedom of Information Act filing in 1977 brought 20,000 previously classified documents to light that would lead to a series of Senate hearings on the CIA's mind control program. When all was said and done, evidence clearly showed that the government had organized the treatment of American citizens with drugs, hypnosis, subliminal persuasion, sensory deprivation, electroshock therapy, verbal and sexual abuse, and even torture. The goal for all such methods was to experiment with behavioral modifications in the hopes of developing programming for government agents.

Despite the large amount of damning evidence involved, CIA Director Richard Helms most likely destroyed the most damning files on MKUltra in 1973. Furthermore, the government contracted out such projects out to over 80 different pharmaceutical companies, prisons, hospitals, and universities. As a result, a great deal of the program's operations remains unclear. To this day, as well, no one has been brought to justice for this abusive program or the negative impacts upon participants.