Chapter 4 | The Tournament [Part I]

Chapter 4 | The Tournament [Part 1]

Lush green lawn coated the uniform field, trimmed to absolute perfection. Large competition tents were organised around the outskirts of the training field, prepared to accompany the jousting arena. The thick fabric of the tents were opulent, colourfully lavished in red and gold. Banners mounted upon metallic polls progressed through the gentle breeze, their bright colours captivating ample amounts of attention.

Servants and assisting employees had been preparing for the afternoons biannual Jousting Tournament. Fresh flowers and food were to be primed, the location decorated with respectful banners from all royal housing families within the realm Asgard.

The scene was bustling with people and activity when her majesty the Queen arrived, Skye dependably by her side. Descending from their mounted steeds, Frigga and Skye moved to her Ladyships personal tent, Skye assisting in refreshing her majesty with her attire.

"Is everything to your liking, my Lady?" Skye questioned, straightening off the last of Frigga's creased skirts.

"Quite. Thank you my dear." Frigga smoothly replied, sending Skye a reassuring smile as the two existed the tent. "May I complement upon how lovely you look this day?" Frigga whispered to Skye, causing her to lower her in gratitude. "Come, come. No need for false modesty. Head up - you're a beautiful woman, my dear."

"I am thankful for your kind words, your majesty." Skye thanked Frigga, sending her a most humble yet gratified smile. Walking toward the main jousting arena, Frigga continued to hold her head high, greeting the attending people of Asgard with an appreciative smile. Skye trailed by her side, slightly behind as a handful of most trusted guards straggled behind in a protective manner.

"Tell me, do you enjoy your position by my side, Skye?"

"Why of course, your majesty." Skye questionably peered at Frigga who continued to leisurely glide next to her form. "May I endeavour as to why you'd ask such a question?"

"Well, to be honest, this tournament was really an occasion for you to promote yourself" Frigga amusingly smiled as she turned to observe the bedazzled expression upon Skye's face. "I'd like nothing more than for you to become my lady-in-waiting. It wouldn't involve you doing anything too diverse. It would only mean you'd have to attend more royal proceedings such as this. You're such a beautiful young lady and you have proven yourself beyond reason." Frigga kindly uttered, pausing in front of the King's observation tent.

"I-I am lost for word you highness. I don't believe I know how to thank you." Skye stammered, speechless as a result of her majesties words.

"You need not thank me, my dear. But please don't hesitate to engulf yourself within this festive tournament. I wish today to be the first of many in which you show your true potential." Frigga joked, entering the King's tent, Skye trailing her every move.

"Mother!" Thor greeted, taking her small hand within his palm to lovingly kiss its fragile frame.

"My son. Are you to ride today?"

"Indeed, as will Loki." Thor gingerly replied.

"I did not think he intended to ride today." Frigga worryingly glanced at Thor.

"Well, that was the plan before he and Fandral lost a bet to Lady Sif."

"Did they now?" Frigga smiled in amusement, seating herself within the comfortable chair located to the right of King Odin's royal armchair. From the King's observation tent, you could see the jousting arena perfectly. A view for a king.

Walking to stand at her side, Skye lowered her head to the queen's ear. "Is her ladyship in need of any refreshments?"

"Oh, no thank you Skye. Take some time to enjoy yourself before the afternoon lunch." She replied, glancing toward Thor as he moved to sit by her side.