Chapter 17 | Insight

It was not the black of night that rolled over the sky, bringing the threat of an oncoming storm. Light was concealed by rapidly falling obscurities, and even then- shadows were soon swallowed by an encroaching darkness. The bright blue sky transformed into an ocean of blackness. The air was still and heavy, thick clouds covered half sky. A cool breeze swept through the thick gathering of trees, meeting the pale flesh of her skin.

Shattered screams drummed through here ears, a chill moving up her spine and panic was now evident within her mind. Her head snapped left – then right, not seeing a thing. Owls swept silently overhead, and then lowering her gaze, she noticed the pools of blood staining the forest floor.

Lifting her eyes, Skye suddenly noticed Mathis’ dishevelled form standing before her own. He was dirty, battered and bruised, barely keeping himself upright – his eyes darkening with every passing second.

“Mathis?” said Skye, her head tilting – unsure of how to react.

“Darkness, Skye.” He said, his voice crackling and blood suddenly oozing from his lips. “It’s coming.”  Only then was the torso of his white undershirt engulfed in crimson red blood, spreading until she finally noticed an iron sword impaling him from behind.  

“MATHIS!” She screamed, running toward him as he collapsed to the damp surface below. The crisp air was unable to move from her lips, and she struggled to breathe.

Why was this happening?

Chest heaving, she felt the palms of her hands beginning to heat up. Confused, she looked to her palms only to find when she raised her eyes –she was no longer in the same place.

Skye stumbled backwards in utter shock, roughly hitting the now cobblestone ground below. Her eyes widened and her breath caught in her throat. Glancing around while gasping for air, Skye noticed this place was the main city courtyard – people swarming around golden its premises.

Disordered and confused, she was pulled back to reality with the harsh voice of an elder.

“Lupis Stanisson, you stand accused of the crime of treason.” Spoke he, an older man with a firm jaw and a dark gaze. He was like a raven, watching over the people of Asgard like King Odin himself. Only he wasn’t. “Have you any evidence to counter this charge?” He turned to refer to the victim himself and Skye’s eyes followed.

“Lupis…” Skye gasped under her breath, unable to comprehend what was happening. Was he to be hanged?

“T-they were to come.” Mumbled Lupis, as he was harshly tugged forward by his shackled wrists. “They were to save me. I-I don’t understand.” He confessed, finally bringing himself to stare at the older man, obviously a member of the high council. Skye was sure he’d like nothing better than to execute what he thought were the “scum” of the street. They all did.

“In the absence of any compelling evidence to the contrary, I am bound to pronounce you guilty – and are hereby sentenced to death.” Lupis was restrained as he moved to pull away, unable to escape the fait before him.

Skye watched for the first time as anger crossed his features.” You are a traitor!” He roared, as he was pulled towards the formation of rope that would take his life. “I have done nothing wrong!” said he, his voice cracking with fear as the executioner tightened the rope around his slight neck.

He is but a child!

Skye didn’t understand. Did she not help him? Was he really to die?