Chapter 11 | A Heart To Break

-Asgard [Past] -

* "Come on, Loki!" Thor egged, receiving a spurred glance as Loki lowered his book to annoyingly glance over the top of the leather bound pages. "Pick up the sword." He uttered, observing his brothers relaxed form upon the stoned edge of the arena. "I dare you to fight me!" The blonde haired prince concluded.

Rolling his eyes, Loki returned to his book, lifting slightly to hide behind its concealing arrangement. Loki hated fighting Thor in front of the others. He wasn't nearly strong enough to challenge him without his magic and the age gap between the two brothers gave Loki no advantage in any form.

Sif, Fandral and Volstagg suddenly turned their gaze to Thor as he began to approach the young prince. "Brother, I said 'fight me'!"  Thor bragged, confidently walking across the sand of the arena to pause directly before his Loki's now tense form.

"I don't wish to, Thor" Loki confessed.

"I don't care!" Thor turned to Sif as she threw him her weapon, firmly clasping it within his hand before throwing it at Loki's feet. "Pick it up! Let's see how much use reading books can help you in the real world of combat." Thor boasted, turning to assuredly grin at his fellow supporters.

Loki nervously lowered his book, slightly glancing to the left to view Skylar and his mother anxiously watching from the arena seats above. They had paused their conversation the very second Thor challenged the raven haired prince.

Returning his eyes to Thor, Loki timidly knelt to retrieve the sword bound within the sand. "Fine." Loki grilled, "-but I cannot guarantee I'll be any competition."

"Oh, I already know that brother."

"Then why did you ask me to fight? What will you gain from conquering me? If I am to be no challenge, why bother?" Loki hissed, unamused with Thor's unsettling actions.

"My little brother, you are still so very young," Loki's brow darkened. He was barely 13 in Midgardian years, but Thor never ceased to remind him that he was still a lot younger than himself. "-but when I speak of impressing the Lady Skylar, I only hold your humiliation at hand whilst I intend to entice her."

Loki's blood boiled within his veins. The thought of Thor courting Skylar enraged him and he'd do anything to stop it from occurring. Sharply inhaling, Loki glared at his brother.

"If you intend to 'woo' her, combat and weaponry is not the way in which to proceed."

"Is that so, Loki?" Thor chuckled. "-and what would you know of the ladies? You read books and use tricks. Why would a woman entice themselves with that whilst you have me to compete with." Thor continued to boast, stepping forward to belittle Loki's slim frame with his already muscular stature.

Thor's words had actually hurt Loki slightly, causing him to lower his head in shame, shifting backward as he thought of the punitive words. He knew very well why he'd say something like that. He was trying to impress the others.

Fine, he wants to play a game? Give him one worth watching.

"Do you honestly wish to make that bet, brother?" Loki tried to sound dignified as Thor turned to observe Skylar.

"You already know my answer to that, little brother." Loki couldn't help but shriek as Thor laced uneasy amounts of emphasis of the word 'little' as he turned to centre himself in the arena.