Chapter 2: Shameful Desire

--Love Triangle--

I can stand her

Not loving me—

I can’t stand her

Loving him.

Lucy held tight onto the fishing rod—trying her best to pull the enormous fish on the other line out of the lake. “Why… is this thing… so… strong?!” She grumbled out from between clenched teeth; the strength of the nearly-caught fish almost pulling her into the water.

The creature threatened to overpower her as her heels dug into the dirt ground. “You can do it, Lucy,” Natsu snickered as he watched his friend continue her battle with the fish. “Put some back into it!” He yelled from a few feet away, comfortably sitting on the forest ground with his calm, water-bobbing fishing rod.

“The damn thing’s too strong!” She shouted, just as her wrists began burning and heels slid a bit closer to the lake’s edge. “Help me already.”

Natsu laughed cheerfully as he got up and went over to Lucy. “These things aren’t that tough. Here, let me try,”

But she didn’t dare let go of the rod. She knew that if she did, the sudden movement would throw her over backwards. Natsu soon got behind her and placed his arms around her waist. “Now pull.” He instructed, as he tugged on her waist to put more strength into the rod.

With the added power, the fish instantly gave up the fight and flew out of the lake. Water splashed all over the fishing spot as the enormous creature was pulled out, and landed with a thud onto the dry forest floor.

The loss of the extreme weight on the other line caused both Lucy and Natsu to fall over backwards in a heap. “Ouch!” Lucy groaned, once she fell to the ground.

“Hey, we did it!” Natsu yelled out gleefully, eyeing the huge 8-foot fish.

Lucy looked around, and noticed she had fallen over him. Her lower back was between his spread legs, his back against the forest ground. “No, you did it.” She pouted, getting off him and standing up.

But he didn’t hear her as he jumped up and ran full-speed over to the fish. “Happy’s gonna be so jealous~!” He sang as he lifted up the fish and roasted it with a breath of his fire.

Lucy sighed, and walked over to him. This fishing trip had been nothing but boring. Being around Natsu was fun, but sometimes it just felt like plain baby-sitting. She hadn’t even wanted to try out the fishing rod, but he had forced her into it. “Just try it, you’ll have fun!” He had encouraged. No, more like begged, after the fifth time she said no.

Her mind was still stuck on last week’s mission. She still felt like she was the ‘weak’ one of the team, and wanted to change that. The long gap in strength between her and Natsu was terrifying. She couldn’t even pull a damn fish out of the water without his help.

“Hey, Natsu?”

He continued to devour the roasted fish. “Yeah?” He responded without looking up, his mouth full of fish.

She sat down next to him. Well, not too close—she didn’t want pieces of chewed-up fish to splatter over her. “I’ve been thinking. Should I start training?” She asked innocently.

“Wha kine’a trainin’?” He mumbled with his mouth full.

“What kind of training? Oh, I mean like, just to get stronger,” She pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms around them. “Both physically and with my magic.”