Chapter 5: Let Everyone Know

I watch her watching only him.

“Come on… it can’t be that difficult,” Lucy murmured to herself. She dropped the heavy book once more, setting it onto the desk. Just focus… she thought in concentration.

‘Ancient Celestial Spells’ was the title of the old book. It sat cracked open as Lucy focused all of her energy into her hands.

She held her right out in front of her while the other was positioned at a lower angle. Her feet were placed in a common stance; as if preparing for battle. Taking in a deep breath, she aimed her right hand at a home-made target.

“Celestial Sphere!” She chanted, just as a small, golden magic circle appeared in front of her open palm. It immediately shot out a circle-shaped ball of magic energy and blew up the exact target. The golden illumination lit up the room as it blew the bag of flour into ashes. “Hey… it worked!”

She sweatdropped as she noticed the burn mark left on her furniture. I should be doing this outside, she realized.

The spell was small and weak, but it was enough for her. Anything to learn combat magic without summoning her spirits first. She was beginning to enjoy her training. I’ve just started it, and I’ve already learned how to use outer Celestial powers. This is a great start!... she thought gleefully.

Now I just need to practice Celestial Sphere and perfect it. Maybe it’ll get stronger as I try it more. How great would it be if it got as big and powerful as one of Natsu’s attacks?... she thought in the back of her mind as she shuffled over to the book again.

As she skimmed through it, she noticed another simple, beginner spell. “Hm… Stellar Beam? I could try that one next…” She said aloud. She wanted to read up some more on Celestial Sphere, but the other spells were already grabbing her attention. I want to learn them all…!

While she was reading the how-to paragraph on Stellar Beam, she noticed a golden light similar to Celestial Sphere’s appear by her side. Even without turning, she already knew what it came from.

Facepalming, she turned to Loke, “How are you able to come here while I’m concentrating so much on my outer Celestial magic?” She grumbled out irritably. She knew he was able to come out whenever he wanted, but even while she was focusing so much on a different type of magic…?

He shrugged, “I suppose our love is strong enough to bring us together~” He sent her a killer smile, arms placed behind his back.

She blushed lightly, feeling butterflies in her stomach. “Well it’s annoying.”

He chuckled, stepping a bit closer. “I see you’re working on your magic spells again?” He questioned, glancing over her shoulder at the ancient library book.

As he’d gotten closer, she’d felt her body warm up some more. Dammit, why… she cursed within her head, visibly cringing. I can’t fall for him. So why has this feeling been happening lately?!... She’d begun to notice it a while ago. Even her dreams lately consisted of Loke. I’ve never really liked anyone before—this can’t be!... She shuddered again, eyes squeezed shut with frustration.

Unbeknownst to her, Loke was watching her shaky actions. “That’s cute—you look so shy. That expression reminds me of Tatiana. She always gets nervous. Or even Marilyn; she’s just the same. And Danielle. Oh, and can’t forget Serena! Then there’s also Lillian, Meredith, Kaydence…-”

As he continued to name off random girls who currently reminded him of Lucy, she felt her jaw clench. At her sides, her hands balled into angry fists. A furious red tick mark appeared on the side of her head as she shouted, “SHUT UP!” She immediately raised her already-fisted hand and socked him straight on the cheek.