Chapter 3: His Competition

And if I have a chance,

would you let me know?

“That’s perfect. Just focus on leaving your mind blank,” Loke instructed.

Lucy sat cross-legged behind the guild, eyes closed and concentrating deeply. She wanted to tell him to shut up so she could keep her mind empty, but if she spoke, he would probably only tell her not to talk.

“Now think only about the power. You must feel the earth… the wind… your energy… feel it all through your skin. Next, breathe so deeply you become one with nature.”

She had tried this training in the past—directly before the Grand Magic Games. Back then, Capricorn had been teaching her, but Loke volunteered in his place. She breathed in deeply, causing a small ring of wind to pick up surrounding her. It blew around the grass, dirt, and sand, causing a mini tornado of magic energy.

“Yes, that’s it—you’re doing it. Now don’t let it slip awa-”

She tried hard to keep up the energy. But it was difficult to keep going. It put such an unbearable strain on her body that she couldn’t keep it up any longer. “-Ahhh!” She yelped as she fell over, the energy disappearing.

Loke tsked. “You were doing such a great job. But it’s understandable if it’s too hard for you right now.”

She sighed, breathing heavily and heart beating fast. “Yeah. Is there anything else we can try?”

He walked over and sat down next to her. “Well…” He looked away, and appeared uncertain. That was… unusual for him.

“Loke?” She asked curiously, peering up at him.

He looked up. “I haven’t told you about the Inner Celestial Power, have I?”

She narrowed her eyes. “No, tell me why you haven’t.” She wanted to know everything about her magic and Loke should’ve known that. What if he was keeping a powerful spell from her just because he didn’t want her to get hurt trying it?

He chuckled. “Must’ve slipped my mind,” He ignored her irritated eye roll and continued. “There’s actually a way that you can borrow your Spirits’ magic powers while in combat; without having to summon us.”

Lucy instantly perked up. “Really?!” She asked in surprise. Her shiny brown eyes sparkled with excitement.

He smiled at his young and cute master. “Yes. But you must be a powerful Celestial Spirit wizard to obtain that ability. I believe you’re strong enough; you do have ten of the Golden Zodiac keys, after all.”

She jumped up happily. “That sounds amazing! I could use different magic…”

Loke stood up too. “Indeed. But I don’t know much about it, so we’d have to do some research.”

She smiled at her spirit, and for the first time—she stepped up to him and gave him a cheerful hug.

His eyes widened in surprise for a moment. But then he smiled and hugged her back. “I understand you’re excited. But it’ll be a lot of work.” He reminded her.

She blushed a bit, fully realizing she was in his arms. Never had she attempted to hug him before. “Oh, right, yeah, of course…” She waved it off, removing herself from him. She tried to hide her blushing pink cheeks. He smelled so good, she thought in the back of her mind. He was alluring, she had to admit.

“Crux would probably know more about it than me. You should ask him about it sometime.”

“Right. In fact, I’ll ask him right now…” She reached into the carrier clipped onto her belt and pulled out Crux’s silver key.