Chapter 4: And So It Begins

Typical.

He likes me.

I like you.

I have no idea whether

You like me or not.

“Thanks for coming with me, Gray. It would’ve been really boring without you,” Lucy grinned sweetly as she waved goodbye to the ice mage. “See you tomorrow~” She sang as she shut her front door.

Gray gave her a two-fingered salute as the door closed. “See you.” He whispered out below his breath, even though he knew she couldn’t hear him.

Sighing, he turned and started walking down the street. Today had actually been really fun. Even if he hadn’t done much at the library with her. But at least they had a good time talking and laughing.

She had never found her book on the ‘Inner Celestial Power’, but she still seemed content. Which was good. He realized that he really liked her smile.

Well, there were a lot of things he liked about her. And today had made him notice just how special, beautiful, and lovely she really was. If he thought she was wonderful before, it couldn’t compare to how he felt now.

Thinking about how close he felt to her that afternoon, he couldn’t help but feel something odd stir up inside him. He’d never felt anything like this before, but wasn’t stupid enough not to understand. He knew his feelings for her were growing into more than just a harmless crush.

If I really liked her, would that be bad? He wondered to himself as he walked back to his house. No, of course not, he told himself.

As he sauntered past a bench and large bush, he began to hear a slight rumbling. “…’the hell is that?” He quietly wondered aloud as he got into an ice-mage stance.

A few seconds past, and yet another shaking noise was heard from the bush. “Uh, who’s there?” Gray asked the bush, feeling a bit stupid. Can’t be too careful, he thought in the back of his mind.

At that moment, a dark figure jumped out at nearly the speed of light and tackled him to the ground.

“Ugh, Natsu, what the hell?” Gray grumbled out angrily as he pushed off the fire mage. He started to sit up before Natsu pinned him back down again.

“What were you doing with Lucy?” He deadpanned, sitting on top of him like a monkey.

Nothing.” He hissed back, struggling to free his wrists of Natsu’s grasp.

“Then why were you at the library with her?” He questioned, still holding tight onto the accused ice wizard.

“We were looking for a book, duh. But you wouldn’t know anything about those.” He smirked as he rose his knee up and harshly kicked him in the gut.

Ignoring the pain in his stomach, Natsu shot back up as Gray jumped to his feet. “I know what a book is, ice-brain! It’s one of those things with a lot of paper in it, right…?” He momentarily got distracted from his interrogation, trying to remember exactly what a book was.

Gray rolled his eyes and dusted off his long white coat. Ignoring him, he turned away and continued walking.

“Hey! Don’t walk away from me!” Natsu called after him, and jumped onto his back. “…What’s up with you and Lucy lately anyways?”

Gray’s eye twitched, “Get off.” He growled, shaking Natsu off.

Frowning, he responded, “Why are you guys always together lately?” He kept up with Gray’s long strides as he walked to who-knows-where.