Chapter 1

I awake around nine o'clock in the morning, as a result of the light shining in from the window facing my top bunk. I blink a few times to let my eyes adjust, before taking the time to admire how beautiful the morning sun makes mine and my sister Jane's cosy room look. "Another beautiful day" I hum, as I go down the ladders carefully to avoid ending up in A&E.

I walk across our small landing and enter the bathroom, where I wash my face and brush my teeth. I glance at my reflection in the mirror as I brush through my long, brown hair and tie it back into a low ponytail, letting small strands escape to hang around my face. Once satisfied, I re-enter my bedroom and dress quickly in black leggings and a casual long sleeve grey top. I fetch myself a scarf from my side of the wardrobe that me and my sister share and make my way downstairs.

"Morning Mary," I say to my sister, who is busy flicking through her piano book whilst sitting at the old piano dad bought for £50 at an auction a few years ago. It has eight missing keys and needs tuned badly but it's still considered a prized possession in our house. There she stays for most of the day, unless she is at school or mum forces her to leave the house in order to attend a family outing. She plays ok, good enough for someone who has never been to a piano lesson before because mum and dad can't afford to send her to them. I can play a little as well, but put it this way; I'm not going to be turning into Beethoven or Mozart anytime soon.

"You off again?"

"Yeah," I say, throwing my scarf around my shoulders and grabbing my coat from the cupboard and slipping it on. Myself and Mary are complete opposites in terms of our likes and dislikes. I am social and love to spend time outdoors, whereas Mary loves the confinement of our house where she has as little interaction with people as possible. I cannot stay indoors for long as I feel suffocated, especially with four other siblings in a cramped house.

"Where are you off to this morning?" she asks, selecting a piece from the book and setting it on the music stand that rests on top of the piano. She smooths out the corners of the pages with her hands, to stop them from turning over.

"I was thinking Paris, maybe New York if I've got time," I wink in response to her rolling her eyes.

"Just the usual for today. No backpacking. Yet," I reply more seriously. I love to go out walking and I try to whenever I can. Today is a Tuesday which is the only day that I start late in University, so I like to go for a short morning walk to clear my head. I attend the University of Hertfordshire and I am in my second year and studying English Literature. I make my way there by train from the countryside where we live, Longbourn Park in Hertfordshire. Reading is another passion of mine, a close second to walking.

I walk into our small and neat kitchen and fill a large class with water, leaning against the counter to drink it. Mum and dad have left already to go to work and Jane is in her third year at the same university as me and is already there. Mary, as well as Kitty and Lydia; my twin sisters who are still fast asleep, are all off school today due to a staff development day.

After downing my glass, I make my way to the porch and kneel down to lace up my trainers that are resting next to various other pairs of shoes.

I close the door behind me and take a deep breath, smiling in satisfaction as I fill my senses with fresh air and go on my way.

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you all have enjoyed this chapter.

Please remember to vote and comment - it means so much to me!

Thank you xoxo