Chapter 39

A week has passed, and Lydia's departure from the family home has brought about healing and the opportunity for everyone to move on. She has since adjusted well to living with granny and grandad, and mum has almost returned back to her old self.

This afternoon, Jane and I are spending rare time together relaxing as she is off work today and I am not occupied. We are sitting on the floor of our bedroom, whereas Mary and Kitty are downstairs and mum and dad are at work Although we haven't admitted to each other, we are the only family members continuing to suffer internally with our seperate situations.

"How bizarre has this summer been?" I remark.

"Very, not my favourite I must say," she sighs.

"And so everything moves on, and we'll be going back to university soon," I say, my stomach dropping. I am finding it hard to accept most normality aspects, as the pain I face daily over William makes me want to hide from the world. However, I have no other choice, so I just have to continue to put on a brave face and carry on. If Jane can do the same, so can I, especially as she didn't deserve to lose Charles, which makes it harder whereas I made mistakes and unfortunately deserve my outcome.

"I know, I'm actually looking forward to going back."

"You've been through a lot," I remark suddenly, looking at her sympathetically.

"I know," she says to my surprise, swallowing hard. "I dread most what people think about it all."

"Don't mind that, them, whoever," I reassure her defiantly.

"I'm surprised your not mentioning your Darcy, is there no drama from him?" She laughs, trying to lighten the conversation, which only does the opposite.

"Don't say that," I say, feeling pain rise in my throat as I fight back tears.

"Why?" She asks surprised.

"Jane," my voice breaks, as I struggle to continue. "I'm so blind..."

I don't get the opportunity to confess as Kitty suddenly bursts through the door, interrupting us.

"He's at the door, he's here!"

"Who?" We both ask surprised and nervously at the same time.

"Charles!"

Jane is stunned, her face pale but her eyes bright with hope mixed with fear.

"Go on," I encourage her. "Don't worry, you owe him nothing so just be brave."

She nods, before quickly making her way downstairs, trying to compose herself at the same time. My heart is in my chest as I watch from a gap in the stairs from our landing, allowing me to see everything. I begin to shake with hope, yearning for Charles to reconcile with Jane. I also wonder, does that mean that William might have accompanied him? Maybe he does want me seeing as he might have talked to Charles about Jane? A million thoughts are running around in my head, making me feel an unbearable amount of suspense.

I watch Charles shyly enter the room alone, a shadow of his former self but seeming as though his presence is for the right intention. Although my heart could burst with happiness for Jane, it has sank like the Titanic over my own love life.

"I've been terrible, I'm so sorry. I allowed the judgement of others to influence how I dealt with you, regardless of my feelings," he issues to a shocked Jane.

"I love you, so much, if you feel the same way about me, will you be my girlfriend?" He looks relived to have said it but scared for her response.

"Yes," she cries softly, beaming at him. "A thousand times yes."

I can hear the sound of them laughing and embracing as I tiptoe away from my spot and back into my room.

I shut the door and cry into my pillow, mourning for what could have been for me like Jane. That's the last sign that he definitely doesn't want me and that it is truly over between us. He was the one, and now I've lost everything.

A/N: Thank you for 34k❤️ Hope you all enjoyed, let me know what you think😘