Chapter 29

"You were successful with your application, please come along to our induction meeting this afternoon. We look forward to meeting you in person."

I stare at the email before me on my phone in shock, having been accepted for the job after only applying the day previously. "Guess what," I gasp, jumping to my feet to deliver the news to my grandparents who are in the next room.

"I got the job!" I sing, feeling giddy with excitement.

"That's great news!" They exclaim happily.

I read aloud the email to them and granny explains that the reason for my immediate acceptance could be due to the fact that they may be in need of urgent staff and have no time for interviews. After discussing and moaning about my lack of appropriate wardrobe, she accompanies me to my room and helps me put together an outfit from my less than formal clothing. She suggests that I wear my black skinny jeans and lends me a plain white blouse to go with it. I brush my hair and tie it into a low ponytail, before adding a coat of mascara to my eyes and placing a small amount of concealer under them, finishing with lipgloss.

"There, you look very professional," she remarks as I slip on my black flat shoes and cardigan. "And beautiful as ever, lucky for any boys that may be at Pemberley."

"I'm no Jane," I laugh, brushing off her compliment. "And let's hope not, that's all I need," I mumble.

"Nonsense, your Eliza, that's even better," she smiles, tucking a lose strand of hair behind my ear. "Good luck, you'll be fine!"

"Thank you," I reply with a hint of nervousness, before grandad drives me to the estate. He parks in a large country lane surrounded by trees and after instructing me on which directions to take, we offer goodbyes and I reluctantly get out of the car.

After walking for about a minute, I turn a corner and on that side I notice a wide opening surrounded by two large bushes either side, which I enter. I almost have to pick my jaw up off the ground in shock as I take in the spectacular sight before me.

The house is huge, slightly smaller than Rosings Park but looks grander and more beautiful. In front of the house is a long and wide stretch of lawn, with a lake taking up most of it in the centre. Tall trees frame around the estate and the view of mountains are visible from behind the house.

"Wow," I gape as I walk along one side of the law, feeling slightly intimidated but more ecstatic at the concept of working in such a place.

I make it on time as I reach the grand entrance, where two butlers greet me and a third shows me to the parlour room where the induction is being held. I have no time to perfectly admire the exceptional splendour of the house as I quickly follow behind him.

"And this is our last new member of staff," beams a friendly looking, well spoken women in a maids uniform at my presence. "Please, do take a seat."

"Thank you," I reply graciously, as I take a seat in the second row of laid out chairs, behind four other women.

"So I'd like to welcome everyone to Pemberley estate, your new work place," remarks the woman, standing up.

"It has for many generations dated back to the Darcy family, who live here today."

It takes a moment for me to process this shocking information, before my heart begins to race and I am filled with fear. Oh no, it can't be, I think anxiously, feeling helpless as I don't know what to do.

"They are away for the whole summer but us maids wouldn't see them very often, we have a pattern where we work around them."

I have never felt a sense of relief like this before in my life, that was lucky I think as I slump back against my chair. The rest of the induction goes by quickly as the woman who's name we now know as Florence, informs us on our duties and other information. After about an hour, we are free to look around various parts of the house.

I finally let my thoughts run wild as I enter into a large library, feeling disbelief at the fact that William actually lives here. There is something profound about witnessing someone's personal space, which can make you feel a greater connection to them. I allow my hands to trace over rows of books on many of the tall bookcases, wondering which ones he has read before. My sense of longing for him deepens as I enter into a gallery room, where I admire in awe the collection of artwork and portraits of his ancestors on the walls, stopping before one of him and his sister.

I cannot take my eyes away from it, and that's when I realise, it's him. It's perfectly clear, I hate to admit it, but I can't deny it any longer. I love him. 

My heart is banging in my chest and my knees feel weak as I walk away, entering into another room. I ignore my surroundings as a great feeling of loss overcomes me, and I have never longed for someone more but been more terrified to face them in my life.

"Hello," a light voice suddenly greets me, stirring me from my thoughts.

I stare at a beautiful girl who is slightly taller in height than me in confusion, before I realise who she is from her portrait.

"Oh my, you must be Eliza, I've seen your photograph. I must get my brother, he's around somewhere," she delivers enthusiastically.

My heart sinks to my stomach as my fear comes true, in the worst possible situation and timing. A chill tingles down my spine as before Georgiana leaves the room, I hear someone enter it behind me, knowing exactly who it is. I reluctantly turn around and avoid his gaze as I look towards the floor, embarrassment being a prominent one of the intense emotions that I'm experiencing.

"Eliza," he breathes, his voice catching in his throat as his eyes travel over me, full of shock and emotion.