Chapter 16

I stare at him intently for a few moments before responding.

"Yes," I dismissively reply, focusing more attention to flattening the creases on my dress.

We walk side by side following Jane and Charles onto the dance floor, before awkwardly stand facing one another as we wait for the dance to begin. He stares at me with an almost solemn and unsettled expression on his face, to which I find amusing. It will only be a matter of time before he begins to insult me in some shape or form.

William takes a step towards me as the DJ plays a romantic waltz song and places his large hand on my waist. I feel my whole body stiffen due to the close contact between us and reluctantly place my hand on his shoulder and hold his hand. The only positive factor about dancing with him is that he towers above my 5'4 frame, therefore I can't see his face.

We sway back and forth to the music before he breaks the silence between us.

"I love this dance," he observes.

"It's my favourite," I state, sarcasm thick in my response. I would rather be anywhere else in the world right now than to be dancing with him, and he can sense it.

"Have you ever been to Cambridge before?" He asks.

"No," I answer defiantly. "I'm sure you'll have something to say about that."

"I wasn't planing to," he replies, with an edge of annoyance forming in his voice.

"That's a first."

He is silent for a moment before answering. "Well, I hope I can afford you more respect in the future."

"I won't be around to-", I am cut off mid sentence by a photographer, luckily for William.

"Right, both of you, turn around for the camera" a young man smiles.

This couldn't get any worse I think as we pose for a picture, my arm loosely resting on his back while William's hand remains firmly around my waist.

"What a beautiful couple," he compliments before moving on to the next set of people. His comment makes me cringe and I can't wait to remove myself from the unfortunate situation I'm in.

Thankfully, at that moment the dance ends, symbolising my cue to leave.

"Will you not stay for another?" He asks as I begin to walk away.

"No thank you," I emphasise, barely glancing at him before turning around once more.

I sign in annoyance as I march across the hall in order to go outside to get some fresh air. Just as I turn the corner, the hem of my dress catches under my heel, causing me to lurch forward and collide into someone.

"I'm so sorry!" I gasp as I take in the handsome young man before me, who caught me in his arms and helped to steady me on my feet.

"No bother," he smiles, oozing with charm and friendliness.

"I should know better than to walk so fast wearing a long dress and heels," I sigh and we laugh.

"What is your name," he inquires.

"Eliza, and you?"

"Eliza," he breathes, causing my heart to beat widely in my chest. "I'm George, but my friends call me by my surname, Wickham."

"Nice to meet you, Wickham," I smile, shaking his hand. Finally, I'm faced with a decent acquaintance.