What Now What Now

What Now What Now

Sirius and Remus didn't go as far as James probably would have liked - but Sirius refused to go too far. He stood in the shop across the way, forcing Remus to look through the window display at James and Lily and report to him exactly what was going on.

"They're just standing there," it had started.

Then, "They're talking... he tried at grabbing her hand and chickened out... No he's doing it now... no, chickened out again..."

Sirius shook his head.

"They're inside... Can barely see them... Alright there they are. They're talking more. Going to order. She just took his hand!"

"Yes," Sirius hissed. "Go Evans! Get the bloody chickenshit bastard!" An elderly witch who was looking at various colours of giant yarn balls in a big basket beside him glared at him. "Sorry, I have tourettes," Sirius said and she harumph-ed and waddled away. Sirius spun on his heels and attempted to jump up to see over the display of giant sewing machines that he was too short to see over. He grabbed Remus's shoulder. "What now, what now?"

"They're waiting for the ice cream," Remus said. "Ow, be careful, please. My back hurts." Sirius had tried climbing Remus's back. He stopped and glanced at his wrist and saw the full moon was approaching and he stood calmly by Remus then, rubbing his back, feeling sorry he'd tried at climbing on him so close to the full moon when he was sore like that. "They're going to a table and -- OHHHhhhhhh!"

"WHAT! WHAT?!" Sirius jumped up and down wildly, but still couldn't see. "WHAT?"

"He's just dropped one of the cups of ice cream on her!"

"NO!"

"YES!" Remus winced, "No! James! ...Oh no. He's touched her chest trying to clean it off. He's as red as a beet."

Sirius smacked his forehead. "Has she swatted his face yet?"

"No actually, she's laughing. Bloody hell, she's laughing." Remus looked at Sirius.

"Don't look at me, look at them -- look at them!" Sirius commanded, caught up in the drama that was the Jily Date.

Remu said, "Calm down, you'd think this directly affected your life."

"It does directly affect my life."

Remus said, "I mean like it's your date."

"It is my date!" Sirius said. "Bloody hell, this goes wrong and I'm the one that has to listen to him bitch about it for the next Merlin-knows-how-long, you know?" He paused. "Now what are they doing? Put your bloody tallness to use, mate!"

With a sigh, Remus turned to look again and said, "Alright, they're talking again... talking... eating ice cream... talking... James looks like he's talking about Quidditch. You know how he messes up his hair more than usual when he talks about flying?"

"Like he's trying to make his hair look like he's just come down?" Sirius asked, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah. He's doing that."

"Bloody git."

"I think Lily's just said that very thing to him."

"Good!"

"He's gotten up."

"What? They're done already?"

"It looks it."