The Matter of Your Floo

Elphinstone Urquart was concerned about the lapse in memory he was having. Paired with the scent of floo powder in his office when he certainly hadn't used the network really made him nervous and so on Sunday he went to Dumbledore's office to talk to the Headmaster about his concerns. "I wouldn't be bothering you with this if I didn't find it quite as unnerving as I do... I mean, sure it's to be expected, lapses of memory once you get to a certain age - you understand, Mr. Dumbledore, I'm sure - but this isn't like that. Its entirely different."

"I see," Dumbledore said.

"I've been obliviated before, Albus," Professor Urquart said, "And it feels a good deal like that. A whole chunk of my memory, simply erased. It's quite a powerful obliviation spell as well, as in my prior experiences I've been able to recover my memories within a short period of time... but this... I expect I was somehow weakened when it was performed."

Dumbledore rubbed his beard thoughtfully.

It was while he was thinking on the concerns of Elphinstone Urquart that a knock came on the door of the Headmaster's Office and he looked up, "Come in?"

The door opened - it was Sirius Black, his eye now healed, and clutching a rolled parchment. "Sir," he said, "I've just got back from a bit of an... er... adventure with Professor McGonagall." He walked up to Dumbledore's desk and held up the parchment for him to take, "She's asked me to give this to you."

Dumbledore took the note and broke the seal she'd closed the parchment with, and unfurled the letter, shaking it out to look it over with a thoughtful expression. His eyes went from concern to sadness to understanding and when he looked up a moment later he murmured," I see. Thank you for delivering this letter, Mr. Black."

"Yes, sir," Sirius said.

Elphinstone Urquart's brow folded, "Is Minerva alright?" he asked. He looked from Sirius to Dumbledore and back again.

"It seems," Dumbledore said slowly, "That Minerva's childhood... friend... Mr. Dougal McGregor has passed away this morning."

Elphinstones' eyes widened. "Dougal McGregor's dead?"

Dumbledore nodded slowly. "It seems that way, Mr. Urquart."

Elphinstone's voice trembled. "Minerva must be heartbroken."

"She is," Sirius confirmed. "Very."

"She does sound quite heartbroken in this letter... and it seems that Miss. McGonagall has elected to take a leave until post holidays in order to mourn the loss she's suffered," Dumbledore supplied.

Elphinstone was staring at his hands intently.

"It appears that she is staying with her brother Malcolm in Faere Dhu," Dumbledore supplied, staring at the parchment. He lowered his glasses, looking up at Elphinstone. Dumbledore cleared his throat, "I should think that perhaps a delegation from Hogwarts to deliver our deepest regrets to the family should be a most excellent idea," he looked at Elphinstone for a long moment. "Perhaps, Mr. Urquart, you know of someone who could possibly...?" The edges of his lips twitched beneath his beard.

"I'll go!" he offered quickly, looking up from his hands. "I'll go!"

Dumbledore smiled, "Well! That is settled then, isn't it? Very good. Mr. Elphinstone, if you please will go and prepare to travel to Faere Dhu...? And while you are gone, I shall investigate the matter of your floo."

"Yes sir." Elphinstone hurried to his feet and out the door.

Sirius watched him go, thinking of the scene he had stumbled upon that time in McGonagall's office and then he turned to look at Dumbledore, "What about his floo?"