Close Your Eyes

Screams of horror turned to cries of fear as the little girl woke from her haunting nightmare. Clutching the sheets as tears ran down her face, her sobs echoing in the small house like a calling sign to her father who was already rushing across the hall to her room.

Opening the door up, Daryl is flooded by the sight of a pink nightlight in the corner lighting the room dimly. The walls painted a paler pink, with pieces of art work she was proud of hanging upon them and decor in the shape of flowers lining the top of walls as a boarder.

It was a classic little girl's bedroom; from the color scheme to the small furniture filling corners of the room. The twin bed pressed against the far wall, dressed in lavender sheets and a pink flower comforter. Her pillows the same design, and all stuffed animals lined up on the headboard above her.

"Hey," Daryl whispers sitting on the edge of the small bed, causing the mattress to dip from the weight. "wha's the matter sweetheart?"

His voice is soft; a comforting yet concerned tone. As he sees how shooken up the girl is, blotchy and red as fresh tears continue to fall from her flooded blue eyes.

She doesn't answer, just holds tighter to the sheets and the plush squirrel Daryl had bought for her as a baby. Her favorite stuffed animal she had.

"Did ye have a bad dream?" He asks, moving slowly closer to her.

Watching her small head nod up and down, Daryl sighs.

Standing up, he pulls back the covers and the little one moves over to make space. Allowing him to sit beside her, pulling the covers back over them as she climbs into his lap. Her head resting against his beating heart as his arms wrap around her curled up body.

Her dark curls; a mix of his hair color and her mother's messy tangles, touch his hands lightly as he rubs his thumb gently against her pajama covered skin. The pink fleece warm under his touch.

Her crying had slowed down; but being closer to her Daryl could hear the whimpers she let out.

"Honey," He whispers softly to her. "ye okay now. Jus a nightmare ye had."

Daryl had never been good at these situations, but since his little girl came along he had been getting better.

Her breathing had slowed it's pace, but her small hand was still reached out and holding onto his arm. Still holding onto him since they changed to this position where she was safely held in his arms.

"Ye want ta tell me bout it?" Daryl asks her, but feels her burrow her face into his chest; a way of showing she doesn't.

So he doesn't push her, just continues to hold her close to him. Smelling the light hint of lemon from her bath soap earlier in the evening and the feel of her smooth hands on his skin.

"Daddy?" The little one speaks up, her voice a soft whisper.

Daryl focuses back on his daughter, as he had found himself staring out into space as he is still quite tired by the early morning hours.

"Yeah baby?" Daryl hums, placing a gentle kiss to the top of her head. Strawberries floating up from her hair from her shampoo.

"Why we get bad dreams?" The four year old asks her father, curiousity roaming her mind.

Daryl thinks for a moment before responding to her, "Cause when ye get one and ye fin'lly open yer eyes... Ye able ta see all tha good in ye life."

Daryl pauses before adding more to his answer.

"Gives ye a glimpse of tha bad, so ye can see all the good ye got."

His daughter stays quiet for a moment before speaking up again.

"Do e'rrybody got 'em?" She asks and even for being so small her voice sounds so much like Daryl's. The accent heavy in her words.

Daryl pulls a stand of hair that had fallen into her eyes behind her ear, "Yeah, e'rryone gets 'em."

"Even you?" The little girl asks, her voice surprised as she tilts her head to get a better view of her daddy.

"Even me." Daryl nods, his mind floating back to the days when he would fall asleep to a bad dream and wake to a living nightmare. How the monsters you face in nightmares and under the beds, were real and walking in front of him.

"Ye feelin better sunshine?" Daryl asks, watching her smile warmly at the nickname she loves.

Nodding, he kisses the top of her head once more before sliding out of the bed. Helping her get comfortable again in the center, tucking the little girl back in.

Running his hand through her curls, Daryl bends down to place a kiss on her forehead. Her skin warm under his cool chapped lips.

Standing up, Daryl walks to the door. Looking back at her, she sends him a smile. One that is small but holds large meaning.

"I love ye Daddy." She says, and he can see the way her eyes keep fluttering open to stay awake just long enough to hear his response.

"I love ye too sweetheart."

Staying there in the doorway, he watches when her eyes flutter once more before shutting as she falls back into sleep. Her breaths even and chest rising up and down with each one.

Her small hands hold onto the stuffed animal snuggled close to her instead of clutching the sheets.

But he watches her till he knows she's safe from anymore nightmares for that night, and content in a good one.

"You do well with her," Daryl turns his head to see his wife standing on the hallway. Her nightgown flowing down her body as her hands rest on her growing baby bump. "you really do."

Daryl can't help but smile a small smile at the statement, feeling proud of himself in a way to know he can do this father job justice.

A/N: Kind of a shorter one, but I love how sweet this is! ❤