The Fleeting Winter

"So you were with him all night?" Cassandra asked cheekily. Rosalind groaned loudly burying her face into the pillow. Cassandra lay at the foot of Rosalind's bed interrogating her. Cassandra's laugh could probably be heard on the other side of the castle. The pair were laying across from each other--gossiping like two school girls. Rosalind didn't know the last time she had blushed this hard. "Do not tell me that nothing is going on!"

"Really, Cassandra, nothing--"

"Rosalind! That was the second time I walked in of the two of you!"

"We were watching the sunrise!" Rosalind exclaimed.

"With your eyes closed? Entangled in each other's arms?" Cassandra taunted. Rosalind covered her face with her hands. "I knew it was bound to happen!"

"Please, Cassie," Rosalind begged.

"What? Jasper and I had a wager that the two of you would end up together!"

"We are not together," Rosalind claimed. She fled her spot on the bed and went to the vanity. She picked up the hairbrush and began to distract herself from the conversation.

"Well, it didn't look like you were apart," Cassandra said sarcastically. "I have never seen William this excited about anyone!"

Her statement made Rosalind's cheeks flare up once again. Cassandra hopped off the bed and took the brush from her. She began to braiding Rosalind's curls down her back.

"I am also mildly offended that you didn't mention your birthday, but--" Cassandra pouted.

"Will wasn't supposed to mention it!"

"Oh so you're calling him Will now? Ooh-la-la!" Cassandra teased. Rosalind hid her face in her hands yet again.

"All right! That's it, I need to get out of this room!" Rosalind laughed as she moved to the exit

"Oh no you don't! I'm not done questioning you about your undying love for our prince!" Cassandra yelled as she chased after her.

Rosalind squealed as she made her exit. The two laughed as Cassandra chased her down the hallway. Undying love? Could she be in love with Will? Last night she didn't think it was possible. Did she think it could be possible now? She had never felt love for anyone except for her family-- she had feelings for Will, but what did they mean? Is it love? If you would have told her three weeks ago that she would be having an affair with the long lost heir that the people had thought was dead. The idea is absurd! Was she naive for believing that he is who he said he is? Had she lost her mind?

Cassandra grabbed Rosalind's arm and the pair fell to the ground in laughter.

"Miss Rosalind! Auntie Cassie!" A small voice cheered. A tiny body plopped on top of Cassandra and Rosalind. Ben. The clicking of heels quickly followed.

"Ben!" Selene exclaimed! "Where are your manners!"

"Oh," Ben pouted softly. He stood and helped Rosalind then Cassandra to their feet.

"Good morning Selene," Rosalind smiled widely. Selene sighed loudly.

"I was just going to begin preparing breakfast, you're welcome to join if you wish."

Selene sounded tired. They parted ways, with promises to join her and Ben later. His shuffled down the hall towards the kitchen and Ben scampered after her. Tension hung in the air now; it made Rosalind's skin crawl with discomfort.

"Is she all right?" Rosalind asked Cassandra as they wandered aimlessly down the hall.

"Everyone is a little on edge lately," Cassandra said softly.