Chapter 30

AFTER TWO WEEKS of functioning on the peaceful routine that had been established, it was finally time for that order to collapse. Nathan had been summoned to Julius Cain's office once more, most likely to discuss the matters regarding the former's family. It couldn't be a mission, Devora deduced, as she hadn't been called in as well.

It felt weird to head to practice without Nathan by her side. She had grown so used to their little regime that having him away made the air around her feel colder all of a sudden. The warmth that lingered around with his presence could no longer be found.

Nonetheless, it was still another day she was stuck in these walls, another day she had to train to keep her body in shape for future missions. Her life depended on it so there wasn't any room for procrastination.

In the gym, Candice and Leah were practicing darts in one corner while Travis and Dallas were sparring. Other than her friends, the gym was relatively silent that afternoon. The resounding thunk of the knives impaling the wooden dummies echoed throughout the gym and Devora needn't turn her head to know that with each of that sound came a bullseye. Leah had always been good with her aim. She was Candice's personal pupil, after all.

"That's all you got?" Dallas taunted from behind in the ring, waving his fingers in a 'come at me' motion. Travis let out a groan, yelling a battle cry of sorts before it was followed by the sound of a loud crash. "That's it! Let out all that anger!"

Travis fought mercilessly. His movements, unlike his sister's, weren't as precise and quick. His fighting style didn't focus on agility but rather his strength. Ever since his recruitment, Travis had grown from that scraggly and scrawny boy to someone with more meat on his bones. He seemed much taller than he did at first, now that he was fed enough nutrients for him to properly grow and develop.

Although this assassin organization brought much pain and sorrow to Devora at the very beginning, she couldn't deny that it did people like Travis, Nathan, and Leah well to certain extents. All three of them came from lower-end families, households that could barely tide themselves through each day. Entering such a morally gray but high-paying job would propel them into a life they would've otherwise never known. It gave them a roof over their heads and warm food in their stomach, never worrying them about the availability of the next meal. That way, they could focus their youth on other things.

A lot was given up, true, but they had also gained a lot in return. At present, Devora could finally see with clear and unbiased eyes that it was a fair exchange. She, too, had grown fond of life here. Nothing was waiting for her back home. Nothing she dreadfully missed, at least.

It didn't take long for Travis to tackle Dallas, both boys in a tangle of arms and limbs on the ground. They had locked each other in a death grip, unwilling to relent and let go for the sake of their ego.

Devora walked over slowly, a grin on her face as she watched both boys fumble around — and fail — to get the upper hand.

"You're both such losers," she chortled, resting her hands on her hips. Simultaneously, both boys scowled at her comment before detaching themselves from each other. A new challenger had approached.

"Come and fight us then, Dora. I bet that we'll win you with both hands bound behind our backs. One on one. I don't mind going first." Dallas smirked cockily, confidence shining. On the other hand, Travis furiously shook his head.

"Uh uh, no way. Have you ever seen her fight during missions? She is utterly ruthless even without a weapon. You'll be dead on the ground in a matter of seconds."

Dallas rubbed his nose. "You're forgetting that I've been in this career longer than Dora has."

"You're forgetting that anger fuels strength and there's no one else with more anger than she has," Travis retorted, flailing his arms around. "She's practically the personification of war!"