Chapter 37

LEAH WAS SHOCKED, her jaw hanging agape as several other agents flanked Travis off the stage. The entire agency had just witnessed her own brother kill someone in cold blood despite being told not to, leaving the opponent's body on the stage motionless and very much lifeless. She took no hesitation before sprinting towards her brother just as the other agents left his side to clear up the dead body.

Of course, as Julius Cain's favorite little tag team, Travis Lane didn't have to suffer the consequences of going against the rules. He was let off with a quick scolding and that was it.

"Travis, what on earth did you just do?"

Her hands immediately flew up to assess the damage, gently tilting her older brother's face left and right to see if he had received any injuries that were too serious. Thankfully, most of the blood on his face wasn't his own. Knowing that he was well, Leah's fingers slowly stopped trembling.

"Leon Gray killed our sister. I had to kill him." Clenching his jaw, Travis moved away from Leah, causing her hands to drop down to her sides. He gestured towards the freshly cleaned stage. They had been more prepared than the last time a death happened. "It's your fight now with Candice."

"She's my best friend. She won't hurt me."

"It's the betrayal of the people closest to us that hurts the most." Travis wrapped his arms around Leah, pulling her into his embrace before resting his chin on top of her head. The coppery smell of blood stung Leah's nose but she kept silent, finding solace in her brother's comforting hug. "There's something off about Candice. Just be careful, okay? Trust no one but yourself." Then, in a softer voice, Travis whispered, "I can't lose you too."

"It'll be fine, Travis." Wiggling herself free from her brother's hold, Leah stood to the tips of her toes. She found a clean spot on her brother's cheek, untainted by blood, and pressed a kiss there in a rare moment of affection. "You'll see."

The crowd had long since recovered from their initial surprise of the previous match. As far as the naked eye could see, the floors of the ring had been cleaned up, leaving nothing but a mere pink stain on the flooring. The audience was split into two, one group chanting Leah's name with enthusiasm and vigor while the other half supported their reigning queen unwaveringly.

Candice was already on the stage when Leah finally stepped onto the platform. Her posture was still and her face was emotionless. Knowing Candice, this was a sight to see. Candice Clair was known by her friends for her signature mischievous smile and relaxed stance. In fact, she had always preached that when one was relaxed, they would be at the optimum condition and position to fight because there'll be enough space to freely move around and counter the opponent's attacks.

The bell had already rung, the proper introductions made and broadcasted. However, both Candice and Leah were blind and deaf to the world. Leah stood observing Candice's every move. As the seconds ticked past, her frown worsened when she realized that the Candice that stood in front of her was no longer her best friend.

It was the queen of this killer empire.

The queen moved first, her movements so quick that Leah only missed the first punch by the breadth of a hair. Her jump away from Candice's attack was so sudden that she couldn't propel and land herself properly, causing her to tumble to the ground instead of making a graceful landing.

"You know, I really don't mind a nice waltz but this is making me really anxious. You're scaring me, Candice."

Pushing herself back onto her feet, Leah desperately tried to ignore the burning ache on her right elbow, the area most of her weight was focused on when she had landed.