Chapter 3

Chapter 3

You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love. - Nicholas Sparks.

The following day we go to class, and Maggie and Nate never leave my side. I’m not happy.  I’m not okay, but I did manage to put on a fake smile for Maggie and Nate, but I think they saw right through me. Like true friends, they didn’t say anything. If I had to say it myself, I think I managed to get through the day just fine.  That is until lunch.

We into the caf, and I saw him, but not just him. Some girl is sitting on his lap flirting with him. I feel like someone has just punched me so hard in the face that my heart is aching. But.  That’s not even the worst part. The worst is when he sees me he kisses her; all the while he has his eyes on me.

I did everything in my power to not show how he had just broken my heart, all over again. How he made me feel like my heart has stopped beating and some fists had grabbed me, crushing my windpipe. I remove my eyes from them and order food. Maggie and Nate are right behind me.

“How could he do that?! He is a total ass. You deserve so much better than him Lea,” Maggie shout to me through our pack link, careful not to let anyone know that I had been rejected.

Jake didn’t want anyone to know, but neither did I.

“I second that Mag. She is way too good for him,” Nate says giving me a sideways hug. 

“Are you sure you want to stay here Lea, we understand if you want to leave.”

“No, I don’t want to give him the victory that his actions get to me,” I say taking my food and walking over to a free table.

”I can endure this lunch.”

“But this will repeat every day, what are you going to do?” Mag asks looking over at Jake. If eyes could kill, Jake would be dead by now.

“Well, I have thought about it last night, but I would like to talk to you, maybe when we get home.  And Mag,” I get her attention.  “It’s really sweet, but stop staring at Jake. He will know I told you guys.” With that I close the link, and just eat the rest of lunch trying not to look Jake’s way, but it was really hard.

As soon as we got home I take my bicycle out to the woods. I need to run. I need to let my wolf free. When I got far enough away, so no one could see me, I started taking off my clothes. Hiding my clothes, I think of the color brown and change into my wolf. It feels great. It is like I hadn’t been able to fully function these past two days.

Like a weight is lifted from I shoulders, I run, and get away from everything.  I try not to think about Jake, but as soon as my thoughts find him, it is much more painful than it has been in human form. I think it is because it is my wolf’s mate. I run and run just feeling the air and the nature around me.

After more than an hour I run back to where my clothes are hidden, so I could go home for my talk with Maggie and Nate. I really don’t want to have this conversation with them, but I know it’s for the best.

As I enter the apartment, Maggie takes my hand, and walks over for Nate’s hand.  We sit around the table, looking me in the eyes.

“Talk,” she orders.

“You guys know I love you more than anything right?” I ask, and they nod not really getting where I was going with this.

“Well, I have thought, and I don’t think I can get over this with him around all the time. So, I have made up my mind. I’m going to get out of the pack an…” I didn’t get to finish because Maggie starts yelling.

“What! Are you going to leave us?!?  You can’t do that! You can’t leave us because of him!” She keeps yelling and shouting about how big of a jerk Jake is, and that I couldn’t just leave. 
Nate is just looking out the window without saying anything for a while, but then he looks at Maggie.