Chapter 04

Slowly opening his eyes, Shinji woke up, only to see Rei and Mari were out cold. They've been flying for a while now, and by the looks of it, they'd still be flying for at least an hour.

"May as well just head back to-"  Shinji said, before turning his head around. Asuka was fast asleep and her head was up against Shinji's shoulder. 'Should I say something?' He thought, looking closely at his friend's face. Her scars were definitely visible, leaving Shinji with a thought he'd wish he'd left behind. Shinji shuddered at the thought, remembering all too well on how that Angel skewered Unit 02's face, taking Asuka's eye in the process. The helicopter slowly descended, landing at the base. Rei slowly opened her eyes, as Mari stretched and yawned loudly.

"Was that necessary?" Rei asked, getting up. Mari adjusted her glasses and got up.

"You know it!" She smiled, before turning to Shinji and Asuka. "Awwww!" Mari's smile shined, making Shinji a bit nervous. Soon that anxiety turned to fear as Asuka awoke. Her eye slowly opened and realized where she was. Lightly blushing, Asuka got up and stomped her foot.

"If you put my head that way, I swear to God, I'm gonna pummel you!" She growled, grabbing Shinji by the jaw.

"You guys coming out or what?" Ozaki yelled from outside. The Eva pilots walked out of the helicopter and saw their mechas being loaded into the base. "They'll be safe in the hangar, don't worry." He explained, making Asuka a bit agitated. The doors to the EDF HQ opened up, and standing in the doorway...was Captain Gordon. Ozaki saluted him, while the Eva pilots did the same.

"Good to know the kids know authority." He said, keeping his traditional straight face.

"Captain Gordan, I presume?" Shinji asked, only to have the man in front of him nod.

"You're, Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Mari right?" He asked.

"Yes, sir." The Eva pilots said simultaneously. Captain  Gordan walked inside, Ozaki and the Eva team following close behind. The doors sealed behind them.

TO BE CONTINUED...