Chapter Seven

"So, how did it go?"

Eira looked up from her food to Gwen. "All right. They tested us again."

Gwen nodded contemplatively. "I assumed they would. When I first came here they did it as well."

"Was it..." Eira trailed off, momentarily forgetting what she was about to ask. "How was it for you? The Test, I mean."

"it was... odd. I don't particularly know how to describe it exactly; I haven't talked about it in any sort of depth to anybody. Well... I felt.. I felt like I was somewhere else entirely. As if I'd left the room and was floating around in some sort of a dreamworld. And the power,"—Gwen averted her eyes—"it was intense. That's the only word that I can think of to describe it. Or perhaps enchanting would be a better fit. It was unlike anything I'd felt before. When I use my powers now, it's never that way. I get a significant rush of feeling and power, but it's never anything comparable to the Test. But I may have felt something similar when I first used my powers outside of being Tested. I can't quite remember."

Eira nodded, considering her words. "I felt something along the lines of what you described. It must be somewhat what usually happens."

"Yes, I suppose so."

Eira would be using—or at least trying to— her powers that afternoon. After they had all been re-Tested, the Tutor had drilled information into them— things like when they were or were not permitted to use them. Not actual limits on the Frost— but rules they were forced to follow so they wouldn't get in trouble.

The three remaining students that had gone after her—William, Ronan and Katelyn— had only frozen the glass, just as Mina had. It confused Eira. Were her powers abnormally strong? The Tutor had said that she had the most prolific power she had seen in four years. That meant that whoever that was would still be here training. Maybe Gwen would know something—she seemed around that age.

"Gwen?"

"Yes?"

"How... old are you?"

"Sixteen."

"You tested four years ago?"

"Yes, why?"

Eira was embarrassed to say what she was about to, but forced herself.

"Well, the Tutor said... she said that I was the most," Eira paused momentarily, before recommencing her sentence, "powerful person that had tested in four years. I thought you might know who that was four years ago. Since you're that age."

"Oh... Madam Fairburn said that? I was informed you were powerful—but... to answer your question, she was probably referring to... me."

"To you?" Eira echoed, slightly taken aback. Who'd have known she'd been with who she was looking for all along?

"Yes, well, all the tutors say I'm the most powerful Frost of this generation. I'm not sure I believe it.. because, well, I always feel my powers are sub-par no matter how much they praise me. I always find problems with them. But if they're saying that about you... I'm sure you're quite powerful. I imagine much more so than I, once you've learned to control your powers fully. I have issues with control, mostly."

"Oh," Eira said. If Gwen was so powerful, then that was another reason for Eira to be confused about the matter of her never having friends. Was it possibly due to the other students being intimidated, or something along the lines of that? Or perhaps it was jealousy? Frankly, it angered Eira. If people were so superficial about matters like that and didn't give themselves a chance to get to know Gwen— then how would they know how nice and how good a person she was? From the short time Eira had known her, she'd been nothing but friendly and welcoming; exactly the person someone like Eira needed after being thrown into such an alien environment. She wondered if Gwen was lonely. Despite saying she didn't mind, did she? Eira had never been without friendship, despite it only being one person. She couldn't imagine how it would be in a place like this with nobody to talk to. "I'd like to see you use your powers one day." Eira smiled as brightly as she could for her friend.