Chapter Twelve

"Moi....ra," Eira choked out, barely remembering to breathe. She met with Moira's astonished eyes. Was it really her? Was she just imagining the woman?

"Can it be... Eira?" Moira gasped.

"Yes. Yes, it's me," Eira whispered. Before she had time to do anything else, Moira pulled her into a tight hug, stroking Eira's hair gently. It certainly was her adoptive mother. Eira hadn't felt more relieved in her life. She was okay. That meant everyone else was as well, right? Right?

"Eira. Eira," Moira repeated. She had begun to cry; Eira could feel her shoulder getting damp. Tears were starting to well up in her eyes too.

They stayed like that for a while. The two of them standing on the doorstep, silhouetted by the dim lamp-light. It was a strange sort of moment—one of relief, yet also sorrow. It was... bittersweet. That was the only word Eira could think of to describe it. It was also one of those moments that she longed to last forever. The gentle, comforting touch of Moira arms—a mother's embrace. Something Eira hadn't felt in years and years. Feeling it made her realise how much she'd missed it.

Moira broke the hug, keeping two hands gripping Eira's sides. "Let me get a look at you." Eira watched her adoptive mother's eyes look over her face, her body, her hair, her clothes. Eira got the chance to look at her adoptive mother, too. Moira looked much older, and her dark hair was streaked with grey. Eira was slightly shocked by her appearance, but supposed it was just what time did to you.

"You've changed so much. And grown so tall," Moira said.

"You flatter me," Eira replied lightly, a small smile gracing her lips. She'd relaxed considerably since seeing that the woman was all right. In reality, she hadn't become exceedingly tall. She wasn't even close to average, either.

"You're a woman now, Eira. And a beautiful one at that."

Eira looked away. She had never been a fan of being complimented. Perhaps it was just because she wasn't used to it.

"I'm so glad to see you," Moira said, changing the subject, after having seemed to sense Eira's slight discomfort. Eira smiled at her words, returning her gaze. "But"—there was always a but, however, Eira'd been expecting as much— "what are your reasons for coming here? You know what the rules are for Frosts in training. Don't tell me you sneaked out."

Eira went rigid. She had been anticipating this question. She considered lying to Moira, but rejected that idea after a few seconds. She couldn't bring herself to lie to the woman. Instead, she opted to just go with the truth. "I did. I ran away on a whim because.... because I overheard some Tutors discussing the rebel situation." Moira's face went white as a sheet at those words. Panic began to rise up in Eira once again, but she forced herself to continue: "They mentioned... they mentioned your name. They said the Blackwood family was responsible for starting a chain reaction of civilians rebelling against the Frosts. But, seeing as you're here and alive, they were talking about another family with the same name, right? The others are all in bed asleep right now, aren't they? Right? I got mixed up and came here because I was so worried, but I needn't have bothered because you're all fine, yes?" Eira kept her eyes trained on the ground. She couldn't bring herself to see whatever expression Moira's face. "Everything is fine, isn't it? It is isn't it? You're all happy and everything is just as it was, isn't it? Please. Please tell me!"

"Eira," Moira said gravely, but there was pain in her voice as well.

Eira knew that pain. Her stomach dropped like a stone and she began to shake violently. She looked up at Moira, tears beginning to form in the corners of her eyes. "No. Please. No—"