First Meetings

"So

"So..." the silence stretched between them, what did people even say to each other after sharing their secrets.

Her stupid mouth seemed to know exactly what it wanted to say.

"What happened to your girlfriend, the one you were with before...?" she asked.

She saw him smirk out of the corner of her eye and could already feel her cheeks heating.

"She wasn't for me" he replied. 

"So you have a type then?" she asked despite her racing heart.

He tilted his head towards her.

"No, I've always been more interested in finding a one-of-a-kind type of girl"

She bit back a smile, trying not to read more into his words than he'd probably meant for her to, but he still caught it and she heard his soft chuckle. 

"Florence," he said handing her the strawberry "I want you to eat this, you didn't the first time but I'm certain you will now, please"

She took the fruit out of his hands wondering why this meant so much to him and then did something she thought she never would, without even thinking she bit into it and let the sweet juice evaporate on her tongue.

Deep inside her belly, the awakening monster growled, this was pure bliss she hadn't felt so free in months.

"I'm proud of you Florence," he said grinning as he watched her.

"I'm proud of me too" she beamed back.

They stared up at the sky, talking every now and then. Chase asked questions but didn't bombard her or push his view on her. For the first time in her life, she felt like she could just relax, just be herself.

And then he had to ruin it all.

"Florence remember the first time we met, as in talked?" he asked and she tensed. 

Why did he have to bring that up? That had been the beginning of the everything that had ever gone wrong, she had been a spluttering wreck, a shell of a person.

She was back in front of her bedroom mirror again and the skirt just wouldn't do up, it wouldn't budge, she was back in the bathroom inhaling the cigarette smoke puffing out of Clarice's cigarette, Mitch stood in front of her as her mother wept and her father shouted, he was there to take her away and she wasn't going to let that happen. And finally, she was waking up in an empty room with a cold sweat running down her back and fear in her heart.