Being Florence Clarke

"Chase?" she asked, he hadn't spoken, he just stood there in the doorway looking like he might collapse at any second.

She hurried towards him putting an arm around his shoulders, gently guiding him towards the seat where he collapsed.

She waited for his breathing to return back to normal before asking 

"Chase? I know you said you didn't want to tell me but things are different now, your not just my nurse anymore, I've confronted my demons now please help me fight yours"

He shook his head, was that a tear she saw trickling down his face?

"Flo, I don't want to tell you, not today but I promise the day after Prom, the day after your big night, I'll tell you"

She wasn't happy with that answer, but it was better than nothing.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a plastic bag, inside were four perfect strawberries, he passed the bag to her.

He wasn't the only one crying now, two trickles ran down her own face as she unwrapped the plastic and placed a scarlet strawberry on her hand, she lifted it to her lips and devoured the sweet fruit in two bites, letting the juice trickle down her chin, she was smiling as she picked up the second, she savoured every single bite, in a matter of seconds, none of the strawberries remained, she looked up at Chase who was smiling.

"You've come a long way Florence Clarke" he said

She grinned back swiping at her wet eyes with her jumper sleeve "Yeah Chase, I really have"

That day something happened which surprised her, she had been reading a book one of the nurses had lent her when Dr Levi popped his head around the corner of her room.

"You have a visitor Florence" he said, he was smiling broadly.

She sat up quickly, placing the book on the bedside table, no one except Chase, her nurses and Dr Levi had visited her in over a week.

"Who?" she asked, Dr Levi stepped aside revealing the person standing behind him.

She was paler than Florence had remembered and deep frown lines were on her forehead, her grey roots were beginning to show above her auburn waves, but she still had her unmistakable scent, her Mother stood in the doorway looking devastated.

"Mummy?" Florence didn't know why but she suddenly felt no bigger than an infant, a little girl who needed a kiss from her Mother to make everything better.

It was all the invite her Mother needed, she rushed towards her and engulfed her in a warm hug, burying her face in her hair and sobbing.

"My baby" she said holding her head.

Florence had thought the time for tears was over, but it certainly wasn't.

They hugged for a straight five minutes, Florence breathing in her sugary scent, she felt so safe enveloped in her arms, the world couldn't touch her while she had her Mother shielding her.

When they finally pulled away her Mother smoothed her hair away from her face, Florence gestured for her to sit in the armchair Chase usually occupied.