Chase's Secret

When she woke up, Chase wasn't there

Her mind stirred as she remembered the events of last night, remembered how she had stood in front of her entire school and told them all the unspoken thoughts she had been thinking for months.

She tried to brush away her feeling of unease.

Why had she let herself fall asleep?

Why hadn't she asked Chase what was wrong?

Her parents chose that day to visit her, the both of them, they seemed subdued and asked her how here evening had went, she told them but she didn't feel the glowing happiness she had felt overnight, she felt lost.

They left quietly, her mother kissing her on the cheek as she went.

The minutes dragged by and raced all at once, her desperation to see Chase building until it was almost unbearable, she needed him to explain. She needed to prepare herself for what was happening, even if there was nothing she could do, she needed Chase with her, holding her, telling her not to be scared, where was he?

Night fell and Chase still hadn't come, she didn't eat, she just lay in bed staring at the ceiling.

She got up and sat in her chair, paced the room, stuck her head out into the hall when there was a crazy rush of phone calls and nurses running up and down the corridor.

But no Chase.

When Dr Levi walked into her room it was around 10 p.m, she was bordering on hysterical. It took a moment to recognise him, since he was in plain clothes instead of his usual doctors coat.

"Florence" he took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes "Sorry to disturb you, but I was in the clinic this evening and thought I'd pop my head in and apologise for missing our session today"

She tried to keep her tone calm

"It's okay, I figure I can just chat to Chase tonight anyway, is he here yet?"

Levi seemed taken aback "Oh Florence.. I'm... I'm awfully sorry Chase" he cleared his throat

"Chase won't be in tonight, ah, would you like me to arrange someone else to visit you?"

"No where's Chase, he seemed ill last night, is there something going on?"

Levi rubbed his face like he'd just woken up from a bad dream "He's... Florence, I'm sorry but I have to get going, I'll be in to see you in the morning"