Family Photos and Soulmates

A/N: okay wow the attention and love this book has gotten continues to blow me away. All of your comments make me smile so much, thank you. Also, MortySmiith MADE BEAUTIFUL FAN ART OH MY GOSH. THANK YOUUUU!

It's been at least an hour and a half since we've arrived at the hospital. Zoe got Mr. Murphy to drive her home about 35 minutes into our visit, but Mrs. Murphy decided to stay with Connor and I, who have spent at least 60% of this time channel flipping on the hospital TV to look at all of the random shows you usually don't stumble upon unless you're really interested, or you're just channel flipping. I'm sitting next to Connor in the bed, and our casts are touching. I'm leaning my head on Connor's shoulder, and Mrs. Murphy is outside of the room making phone calls.

"Cynthia?" I hear a voice say. I turn my head towards the door, as it sounds a bit too familiar. Connor follows suit as I fail to see who it is.

"Heidi!"

Of course.

"What are you doing here, is everything okay?"

"Um, yeah. Connor is recovering in there. He got beaten up or something? I'm not exactly sure what happened. Evan was a mess-"

"Evan was there? Is he okay? I didn't get any calls from him-"

"He's fine Heidi. He wasn't even touched by those boys."

"I was last weekend," I mumble, and Connor puts his broken arm around me.

"Did Evan go back to our house?"

"Actually, he insisted on coming here."

I block out the rest of their conversation and lean back into Connor. "You know why didn't go to the house?" Connor nods. "Because, because that's just a house. I had to go home. You know, where the heart is." I look at Connor, and notice he is blushing. We sit in the silence, just enjoying each other's presence. Until my mom comes in, that is.

"Hi you two," she says.

"Heyyyyyyy mommmmm," I say, my voice different from when I just talked to Connor. Connor also greets her.

"Everything okay?"

"Great," Connor and I say in unison, which makes my mom smile.

"Well that's good. Connor, you can go home," my mom says cheerfully with a smile. "Evan, can you come in the hallway with me for a minute please?"

"I guess," I shrug, and exit the room, leaving Connor to get back into his regular clothing. If they aren't covered in blood or something, that is. I'm pretty grateful Zoe was there to prevent me from watching Connor get beaten up.

Mom and I stop a couple feet away from Connor's room, but far away enough that he can't hear what we're saying. "Is everything okay, Evan?"

"Yeah mom. Everything's fine."

"No. I mean really... D-did you see it? The,  I mean, Connor. Did you see him get hurt?"

"I only saw him get punched in the groin."

"That's good, I guess," she laughs lightly. "Do you need to stay here, or are you okay walking home or...?"

"I could stay at the Murphy's. Help Connor with his broken arm and stuff," I say as I gesture to my cast. Mom smiles.

"If you need anything, call me," she says as she gives me a quick hug. "I'm so proud of you." I smile back at her, and then walk back to Connor's room. I knock lightly on the frame of the door.

"Can I come in?"

"Of course." I come in and notice that Connor is now standing up, and the TV is off. I stand in the doorway and enjoy his presence; his long, wavy, brown hair, his breathtaking eyes, and the adorable little smirk that only he can pull off.

"How's your arm?"

"Numb," he laughs.

Zoe, Connor, Mr. and Mrs. Murphy and I climb into the car and take a ride back. Zoe and Connor sat in the main seats in the third row of the SUV, and I squished in the middle of them. The three of us were talking like actual friends, and laughing, and even sometimes singing along obnoxiously to the radio.

"Family picture!" Mrs. Murphy exclaims, and I notice she has her phone up in the air so that the camera will capture all five of us. Connor, Zoe, and I all make weird excited faces and Larry glances at the camera when he gets to a stop sign. A few seconds later I hear Connor and Zoe's phones go off, and then mine with a text from Connor. I open it and look at the photo before saving it and making it my lock screen.

Family picture.

~

When we arrive back at the Murphy's house, Connor and I go running up the stairs. "Please be careful, Connor. You just broke your arm a couple of hours ago," Mrs. Murphy shouts up the stairs. Connor shouts back that he won't hurt himself and we go into his room, closing the door behind us.

"Want to watch The Office?" Connor and I ask each other in unison and then laugh. Connor climbs into his bed, but looks at me weirdly when I don't. Instead, I walk over to his dresser, bend down, open the bottom drawer, and then proceed to stand up and throw a bag of chips at him.

"Connor you ignorant slut!" I exclaim, making him laugh. Then I climb in next to him.

"When you're a kid you assume your parents are soulmates. My kids are going to be right about that," Pam says in the middle of one of the episodes. I've lost track of which one we are on because we've watched at least five or six.

"That's us," I say.

"What?"

"We're like Pam and Jim."

"Soulmate?"

"Soulmates."

Conner kisses me on the head.