Á La Mode

A/N: Thank you wearenumberpun for this beautiful cover!! Now, I hope you enjoy the next chapter of Jump: Á La Mode :)

"You want to walk to Á La Mode? You do realize that it's like, at least a mile and a half from here."

"Well I can't drive, you don't have a car, and my mom has to work. And I am not getting some stranger to pick us up through one of those crazy apps on your phone."

"Hey, I know it's out of your comfort zone, but there is this great guy who has a pretty decent rating if you're ever up to it."

"Can we just call your sister?"

"Yeah, but then she'll want ice cream."

"So?!"

"So, what if I want to spend time with the best, sweetest, funniest, greatest boyfriend in the world," he says sweetly. I feel myself blush.

"Oh stop it," I say playfully. "Okay but seriously, how are we going to get to Á La Mode. Our only other option is-"

"No."

"You don't even know what I was going to say, Connor!"

"Yes, I do. I'd rather walk."

Connor's right, he does know. I was going to suggest his mom drive us. But, if his mom drives us, she'll invite Connor's dad, and then Zoe, and turn it into family bonding, which Connor almost hates more than detention; when it's planned. According to Connor, his family is actually "pretty decent" when they haven't been planning some outing. When it's planned, his mom gets all cheesy, and his dad tries to act like some perfect super involved guy. According to Connor, that is.

Suddenly, Connor pulls out his phone.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling my sister," he mumbles. "Here, you talk to her," he says and hands me his ringing phone. I put it up to my ear and someone picks up.

"What now, Connor?" Zoe says on the other end of the line.

"Hi Zoe."

"Oh, hey Evan. What's up?"

"Um, could you drive Connor and I to Á La Mode? We were going to celebrate because-"

"Because you got your cast off?"

"What? I mean, how did you know?"

"It's the only thing Connor has been talking about for the past three days. He's made sure the entire family knows." I blush and smile. He's made sure the entire family knows. An awkward silence fills the line.

"So could you drive us to Á La Mode?" I say, my voice picking up speed.

"Oh, yeah, sure. I'm guessing Connor forgot his wallet at home so can you ask him where it is?"

"Um, s-sure Zoe." I remove the phone from my ear and place it against my chest. "Connor, Zoe wants to know where your wallet is."

"Is she stupid? It's in my pocket," he says as he reaches into his pocket, and then the other one. "Crap. It's by the- wait, no. Shoot. Um, tell her it's either on the kitchen counter, in my coat pocket, under my pillow-"

"Under your pillow? Are you waiting for the Tooth Fairy or something?"

"You know, you're starting to sound like me now."

"My god Murphy, I am," I say, trying to make my voice sound like Connor. He playfully punches me in the arm. We laugh in unison and then I realize that Zoe is waiting for a reply. I shove the phone up to my ear.

"Sorry. He says it's either on the kitchen counter, in his coat pocket, or under his pillow."

"Ummm... okay. One second Ev... um... okay, alright. I'm on my way. Bye Evan."

"B-bye Zoe," I stutter out and hang up the phone, handing it back to Connor.

5 minutes go by.

10 minutes go by.

15 minutes go by.

"I didn't realize your house was that far away from the doctor's office," I say as I kick around a pebble on the asphalt. I look up and see Connor pacing back and fourth.

"It's not," he exclaims tensely.

"I-I'm sure she's fine, Connor," I say, attempting to reassure him; but Zoe's words before hanging up haunt me.

Goodbye, Evan.

I begin to mimic Connor's pacing and let my thoughts get the better of me. She's fine Evan. I pivot and start pacing in the other direction. No she's not. Pivot. She's probably just stuck in traffic. Pivot. Or a car accident. Pivot. Calm down. Pivot. What if her last words were actually saying goodbye, and to me? Pivot. Why would you think that? Pivot. Because she's probably dead or in an ambulance or something or she got kidnapped or-

"Oh my god," Connor says, yanking me from my thoughts. "I'm getting a phone call." He stares at the phone, which continuously rings in his pocket.

"ANSWER IT," I shout anxiously. "So-"

"Don't apologize," Connor mumbles like a broken record. Even when he has better things to focus on, he's always looking out for me.

Connor shakily pulls the phone from his pocket, and then looks to me. I nod, a notion that everything will be okay, because that's what he would tell me. He looks down at the phone, and gulps. Please, let me be right; let everything be okay. I watch with hawk eyes as he taps the answer button and puts the phone up to his ear.

"Hello?"

I inhale, and hold my breath.

Please let everything be okay.