Ch. 5: The Truth Comes Out

Ch. 5 – The Truth Comes Out

“Mommy!” Cam ran into me the instant I walked in the door to mom’s house.

I laughed and patted him on the back. “Hey sweety. How was your day?”

“It was fun!” He said jumping up and down. “We colored and played some games and took a nap.” He laughed at that part.

“Sounds like it was a blast!” It was almost the same routine daily, except that the activities were different. “Are you ready to head home?”

“Yep!” he nodded.

“Alright, go get your things and we can go.” I told him just as mom walked into the room.

She smiled at me and engulfed me into a hug. “Hey sweety, how was the rest of your day after we talked?”

“It was…interesting to say the least.” I admitted.

“A good or bad interesting?” She asked.

Oh man, sometimes I wish my mother wasn’t so nosy into my life. She gave me a look trying to get me to confess and tell her that some hot guy came in and that there was some potential. She’s been dying for me to start getting out and dating again. Sometimes almost pushing me to do it; it’s getting a bit ridiculous. I rolled my eyes at her, “Mom, just let it go.”

“Fine.” She huffed and sagged her shoulders. It was her trick to try and make me feel guilty. Well, it wasn’t going to work this time. “So, have you thought about what I said?”

“Yes, mother, I have. It’s not like I haven’t thought about it before but really? What’s the harm in letting Brandon go tomorrow? I don’t want Cameron to have to go with his mom. All the other kids’ dads will be there. He’s at that stage where kids would make fun of him for not having a dad. I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t happened yet. It’s not going to hurt if Brandon can take him.”

“Alright, as long as you know what you’re doing.” Mom said, but it was the tone she used that annoyed me.

I nodded, “I’m sure, mom.”

“Okay! I’m ready!” Cameron came rushing into the room, huffing out a deep breath.

I smiled down at him. “Alright, tell nana goodbye.”

“Bye nana!” He ran over and gave her a big hug. “I’ll see you, uhh…later!”

“Bye sweetness.” She kissed him on the head.

Once we got to the car, I hooked Cam into his seat and then got in myself. I drove back to my house, which was only about ten minutes away. Thankfully, we lived that close to one another. It helped make things more convenient. “So, is Uncle Brandon going to come tomorrow?” Cam asked as we pulled into the driveway.

I looked at him through the rearview mirror. “I’m not sure, I haven’t called him yet. Would you like to call and ask him?”

He looked out the window and thought about it. After I parked and got out, walking to his side to let him out, he nodded up at me with a small smile on his face. “Yeah.”

“Alright, hang on.” I sat him down and pulled my phone out, dialing Brandon’s number.

I held onto the phone and put it on speaker while we walked into the house so that Cameron could hear him and ask him his question, but I also didn’t trust Cameron to carry the phone inside. He tends to drop things that he’s carrying. As if to prove my point, he dropped his sweat shirt that was in his hand. “Oops.” He laughed while picking it up out of the dirt.