Ch. 9

Replaying my horrifying nightmare with my coffee in hand as I sit in the lawn chair on the balcony of my friend's two room apartment, I jump a little when I hear the door crack open.

"I thought I'd find you out here," Amber says as she walks out with her own mug of coffee and sits in the chair adjacent from me.

"Yeah, I just needed some fresh air," I tell her with a fake smile plastered on my face.

She gives me a sorrowful look, "The nightmares again?"

"They're different now. They've become more detailed, and they've gotten bad enough that I don't even want sleep anymore." As the silence consumes both of us, I sip on my coffee and lean back in the chair again. Everything feels different after my nightmares. It's almost as if they were real and my life is the dream to escape my nightmares. In the nightmares, I relive bad things that have happened to me, but they're always amplified and so real.

"You know it has to get better," Amber says as she rubs the side of her mug nervously as if what she said might set me off. I nod even though it feels like nothing will ever mend my broken heart. I try and hide the face I know appears when I think about him. "Lets go hike that trail you like. Michael would want you to get out and get some fresh air to clear your head." I try to hold it in, but as I spin the ring around my finger I feel a tear slide down my face, so I quickly hop up. I shuffle in the door, and to the room shutting the door. I set my mug down on the nightstand beside my laptop and flop on the bed curling up to the pillow. I don't know why I can't get myself together. It's been six months, but it doesn't seem nearly long enough for me to even leave the bed without forcing it. I don't think anyone will ever understand this feeling.

How do I go on living when my soul mate has left me in the worst way possible? He is never coming back, and I don't know what to do with that. He is my everything. He was my everything...