Chapter Nine

Madison's p.o.v »»

I mumble my thanks, hopping off of the truck after Tyler dropped me back home, anxious to get back into my house where I felt safe and secure. I sound like a big baby, but everybody at school got me nervous, I could barely focus on the lessons my teacher assigned. For once, I came home to no parents with a million questions. Instead, the house was empty.

I threw my bag in the corner of my room and screamed into one of my pillows, in attempt to let all my frustration out. I decided to take a cold shower and drown out my thoughts with the water, but all I could think of was flashbacks to when I was actually drowning.

I get goosebumps at the thought of fluid flooding my lungs again, and step out of the bathtub quickly. I walk out into the hall with a towel tightly wrapped around my frail body, catching a glimpse of my mom sitting on the sofa.

"Maddie, honey, is that you?" My mom's voice echos along the walls from her sitting position in the living room.

"No mom, it's a ghost." I deadpanned, entering my room. My feet leaving the wooden floor from the hallway into the carpet of my room. I felt my wet hair drip causing a tiny pool of water by my feet. I dried my hair with a towel after throwing on a pair of pajamas and matching slippers.

I walked back into the living room with my parents, sitting on the chair opposite from my mother. "So, how was school?" My mom inquired, sipping a glass of wine. I shrugged, "School is school." I responded vaguely.

"Anything new happening?" My dad asked this time.

I looked away and scoffed a little at the thought of Jake's party tonight, before looking back at my dad, "Yeah, just another dumb party." I said with an eye roll, sinking into the plush chair. My dad's eyes twinkled at the sound of that, "That's great! You should go and socialize!" He exclaimed encouraging.

Me and my mom looked at him as if he had grown two heads, "Are you crazy, David? She's certainly not going anywhere, especially not a party!" My mom ordered, standing up to refill her wine glass.

When she left, I looked at my dad suspiciously, "What's up with you? You're acting like a teenager." I teased.

This time, my dad rolled his eyes, "You deserve to experience high school like everybody else." He said, getting sentimental. I caved, "Fine. I'll go, but the tyrant over there will never let that happen."

Dad instantly grinned at my response, "Don't worry, I'll take care of her. Go get ready." He demanded with excitement, ushering me up the stairs. I laughed at the thrill in his voice, stomping up the steps into my room again.

I internally groaned at the thought of doing my hair and makeup again, but I did it anyways. It took an hour before I was finally ready to go. I looked myself over in my mirror, my red hair was styled.

I had remembered hearing someone say the theme was neon.

Whatever that meant.

So, I tugged on the only thing I had close to neon- a bright yellow blazer. I wasn't sure how dressed up or dressed down this party was going to be, so I went with whatever was in between.

I gave myself one last glance, applying another coat of lipgloss. I stared at my reflection a little longer, feeling pretty for once.

A soft knock at the door made me turn around swiftly, "Your mom's asleep, are you ready?" dad asked with a smile.

I chuckle, "How do I look?" I questioned rhetorically.

He tossed a pair of car keys at me, "You can take the family car out tonight."