Chapter Eight: Answer (Part One)

Chapter Eight: Answer (part one)

 "Assalamualaikum..." Nadiah called out as she entered the kitchen, closing the door behind her. She set the groceries on the table and began to put the food away.

 "Walaikumsalam..." She heard her mother's reply from the living room. Aminah appeared in the doorway a minute later and descended down the steps, carrying a tea tray in her hands. Nadiah hauled a stool to the counter.

 "Did you manage to get turmeric powder?" Aminah asked, placing the used teacups in a basin and grabbing a brush. She emptied some water into the basin, added some soap and pulled a stool.

"Yes, I did." Nadiah answered from the stool as she stowed the dried foods on the upper shelves. "The shopkeeper was kind enough to add in twenty grams for free."

"Alhamdulillah, were there a lot of people in the market?"

Nadiah said, "Yes, everyone was out grocery shopping..."

 As they both concentrated on their respective tasks in silence, Nadiah wondered when her mother was going to drop the marriage bomb on her. She hadn't had any thought of anybody who would actually like her and was interested enough to want to marry her. She felt she wasn't very pretty; she didn't have much fat on her, her collar bones visible and her small frame a flaw. 

While her peers had already started to show signs of blossoming; Nadiah was still in her child physique, sticking out from the rest like a sore thumb. She only got her first period a few months back, at the age of fifteen, which, was considered to be pretty late for a growing girl. Once, she'd walked by a Peranakan girl who was wearing a Kebaya dress and noticed her tiny waist and slightly protruding bum. And when she stared down at her own physique, she looked nothing like that Chinese Nyonya.

 She finished arranging and stepped down. Aminah rinsed the soap and brought the teacups to the table. She started to wipe them dry. Grabbing another towel, Nadiah picked up one teacup. After she had finished keeping the porcelain tea set in the cupboards, Aminah spoke.

"Nadiah, come and sit here once you're done. I have to talk to you."

This is it. Nadiah thought, closing the cupboard doors and pulling a chair. She had noticed how her mother was eyeing her every move.

"What is it, Mak?"

"We had visitors just now," Aminah began. "They were Harun's parents. They had come to ask for your hand in marriage to their son."

Nadiah didn't know what to say so she remained quiet, allowing her mother to continue. "You already reached puberty therefore you're eligible for marriage. Your father and I can only give you our opinions. We are not going to force you if you wish not to wed him. You have the right to reject the proposal. But, if you do like him, tell us and we will arrange the marriage for you. "  

"Must I get married now? I...I don't think I'm ready for it. I think I'm too young."

Aminah's face softened. "Nadiah, in Islam, it's encouraged to get married as soon as one has attained puberty to avoid fitnah (temptation) and zina. (Adultery/fornication) You might have the highest level of iman (Faith), but, you might not have good control of your nafs (desires, lusts, ego) as you think you have. Especially when Shaytaan (Satan) is always out to create evil. I'm not saying that you must marry Harun. Even if you reject him, I would like you to start considering marriage. Why, I married your father when I was fourteen and he, eighteen. "  

Nadiah felt a sudden added weight on her shoulders after her mother finished her sentence.

"I can't speak for your father. But personally, I think Harun's an alright man, though a little irresponsible and immature. But who am I to say? A person's heart, only Allah Knows. Every human being has a good and bad side. Not every kind person will always be kind; similarly not every bad person will always be bad. Because that's the nature of humans who are unlike angels. Whereas angels are pure and free from mistakes. His father mentioned that he's a better person now and is more involved in their family business - as you already know, he is their only heir."