Chapter Eight: Answer (Part Two)

 It was a quarter past twelve when Nadiah was down to her last household chore for that morning. The sun peaked at its highest seemingly to narrow at her as she raked the fallen and withered leaves together in a mass. She hoped the wind wouldn't come and mess up the pile she had managed to collate as she needed to leave for Zainab's home quickly. Satisfied with her neat porch, she let the bamboo broom lean against the wall of the bath house, did wudhu (ablution) before running up into her room where she prayed Zohor.

"Mak!(Mother) I'm leaving for Zainab's for a while," She called out, stacking the prayer garments on her desk and pulled a scarf over her head.

"Alright! Be back before Asar prayer, tonight's Malam Jumaat! (Night of Jumu'ah {Friday night})" came the reply from her parents' bedchamber. Knowing her mother, she was probably folding laundry or reading at this time of the day.

Nadiah stopped in front of the small mirror in the living room. She bent down slightly and adjusted the fabric accordingly while saying, "Tell Ayah (Father) I finished sweeping the leafs. He should burn them now and quickly, before the wind comes."

"Alright. Aren't you going to leave?"

"I am!" She said, her heart skipping a beat when she caught sight of the time. It was already one o'clock and she had to hurry in order to be back before four-thirty. She took fast strides to her front door and down the steps, slipping her tiny feet into her slippers. "'I'll be back soon. Assalamualaikum. (May peace be upon you)"

Nadiah speed walked to Zainab's residence; taking the back route, passing by other kampung (village) houses along the way. The ground was uneven, ladened with scattered rocks, twigs, branches and potholes. She treaded carefully along the narrowed path while still keeping her pace. Up ahead where the dirt road ended was a small partition in between two trees revealing the backyard of yet another house.

She emerged from the woods and headed to the third house on her right. She saw Zainab behind the laundry line; using her two hands to squeeze out the excess water from the damp clothing and fluffing it before flipping it over the line. Zainab's mother, Makcik (Auntie) Asma, sat on the open veranda, peeling bananas and tossing them into the bowl in front of her. Baking supplies and a small pile of banana leaves surrounded her. She looked up just as Nadiah was about to call out the salam.

When their eyes met, Nadiah broke into a smile. "Assalamualaikum!"

"Walaikumsalam Nadiah!" The woman replied, a broad smile stretching from ear to ear. She called her daughter. "Zainab, Nadiah's here. "

Upon seeing Nadiah, Zainab too broke into a grin. She then hastened to finish hanging the rest of the laundry.

"Did you come alone? How's your mother? " Makcik Asma asked after Nadiah had salam-ed her.

"Yes, Mak is well, alhamdulillah," Nadiah answered just as Zainab joined them. "Makcik, is it alright if I take Zainab for a walk? I promise we won't be long."

"Oh, go right ahead!" The woman waved them off. "And not to worry, you girls take your time."

"Thank you!" Nadiah said, taking her right hand in hers and swooped down to salam her once more while Zainab pecked her mother's cheek.

"Bye Mak!" Zainab said, already holding on to Nadiah's arm.

Nadiah reassured. "We'll be back soon, InsyaAllah!"

The two friends scampered off together hand-in-hand to their favourite spot by the river where they always had their long heart-to-heart conversations.