Monophobia

Mono.pho.bia

Noun

The fear or terror of being isolated, alone or abandoned by those who are close.

-

Three Days Later.

"Hood up and over the hair." Gerard's father ordered sternly as he watched his son fumble with his appearance in the mirror of the dimly lit bathroom.

"Why can't I just stay home? Nobody ever talks to me anyway." Gerard whined, turning to face his father with immense sorrow in his honey colored eyes. He roughly pulled his jacket over himself, his vibrant hair disappearing from eye sight.

Donald sighed, bringing his fingers up to the bridge of his nose, "This is important, alright? Be happy for me." He walked away with that, leaving Gerard a quiet mess of inner turmoil and self deprecating thoughts rushing about his mind.

Long story short, Gerard's father had been promoted to a higher place in his job, resulting in a huge banquet that the whole Way family was forced to take part in. Somewhat ironically, Donald worked for living section's government so having a Diff son didn't really go by quite smoothly with his co-workers. Nevertheless, it was no doubt that Donald was an excellent worker. He was loyal and did the best for his section which ultimately raised his spot to third chair. It was a big deal, he was now responsible for most decisions made throughout the section. So yes, lots and lots of stress.

Gerard wasn't happy about it. Not one bit. Ever since he'd listened to the radio a week before, he hated everything to do with the government and there was no way he was going to willingly attend a banquet that was dedicated to their boring and disgusting job. The things he had heard the week before basically scared him to death. There was light talk of Diffs of all ages, including children, being sent away from their sections by order of section leaders. Ripped from their parents and families, being taken to God knows where. That was about four living sections away from Gerard's, though, decently far away. But it was still terrifying. Who knows? What if he was next?

Gerard shook his head, scoffing at himself. Surely that was never
to happen. His father was high in the system, he'd never let his son be sent away. And if it were to happen, there was a huge chance that his family would just stuff him into hiding where he'd be safe from it all. Hopefully.

Gerard fixed his hood one last time to make sure every single strand of his hair was tucked away. He still didn't understand why he needed to be there. Donald Way had two sons after all. He could just bring Mikey without having to worry about being embarrassed every few minutes. He trudged out of the bathroom anyway and dragged himself toward the kitchen where everyone else was most likely waiting. As he grew closer to the kitchen's door, he could hear the faint and muffled voices of his parents who were clearly arguing yet again.

"Maybe it wasn't Gerard?" Gerard heard his mother shrill in a loud whisper.

An aggravated huff was let out from his father, "No, it most definitely was. They're the same exact band-aids that are in the upstairs cabinet."

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence. Gerard's heart dropped into his stomach.

Donna Way was now a complete wreck on the other side of the door as she faced her agitated husband. "I don't believe it was Gerard. He wouldn't touch another person, especially a stranger! He's scared of his own shadow!"

Gerard chuckled bitterly as quietly as he could manage. He was not scared of his own shadow. He was scared of his own family most of the time. And if you ask him, that's a big difference from a fucking shadow.