Kainotophobia

Kainotophobia

Noun

The fear of change.

-

Two days later

Linda was in hysterics again, it seemed as if she wasn't anything but dramatic at this point in time. Frank didn't understand what her problem was as he sat directly across from her at the kitchen table with her sobbing as loud and ugly like some amateur actor. Linda wiped the ruined mascara from underneath her eyes with a tissue and let out an overly exaggerated sniff.

She then spoke, her voice fakely torn, "Please explain to me why Fabiana found a flower in your room."

Frank bit the inside of his cheek and avoided all eye contact from his mother. He was trying his hardest not to become nervous. When he was nervous, he'd sweat to the point of his hair becoming completely soaked. He couldn't afford having his hair become soaked with sweat in a moment like this, not after he and Gerard had spent hours trying to cover up the new red patch with cheap black paint that just barely matched Frank's hair color. It had been two days earlier, but Gerard had given Frank the little jar of paint and he had been reapplying it every hour or so.

The presence of Fabiana's thin body in the doorway only came known to Frank when he glanced away to leave the icey stare of his mom's piercing black eyes. Frank could've punched his sister then, she was smirking at him as if she knew what was going on. When their identical green eyes met and Frank scowled, hoping she'd cower away even a little bit. She didn't, she just smirked even wider.

Linda gritted her teeth and without warning, slapped the area of the table that was right in front of Frank, "I told you to tell me why the hell your sister found a flower in your room!"

A chill ran down Frank's spine at the raise in his mother''s voice. It was the same exact raise she used before he went to stay with his grandmother a week prior. The inside of Frank's cheek was bitten raw now and he still hesitated to speak, he wasn't sure of how to explain himself. "Someone gave it to me." He finally answered, flinching and waiting for the slap that was assumed to be placed across his face. It never came though, Linda was silent.

"Who gave it to you, Frank?" She asked, she sounded emotionless.

Frank's eyes twitched back to Fabiana who was now holding her ugly cat, stroking it neck to tail with the same defiant look on her face.

"A friend. A good friend." Frank's hands tightened into fists under the table, "And it's not just a flower, it's a Marigold."

Linda's eyes went completely wide just as every other time she became angry. Leaning back in her chair, it seemed as if her mood completely changed. Frank knew better than to fall for her act, she was manipulative and would most likely start insulting him at any second.

It never happened. Instead, Linda quietly rose from her seat and left the room, not daring to speak another word. Frank let out a deep breath that he didn't even realize he was holding inside himself and set free the tension in his body. He wasn't going to cry, no matter how much he wanted to. He wouldn't do that in front of Fabiana.

Fabiana finally strode over, slowly sitting down in the seat that Linda was previously in. She set her ugly cat down onto the hardwood floor and set her elbows on the table, chin rested in her palms as she stared at her brother. "Pussy." She spat, disgusting smile appearing on her face. 

"What the fuck is your problem?" Frank croaked. He avoided all eye contact with his twin, not daring to take a glance at her devious face.

Fabiana giggled, "Mhm. You're weak, Frank. Your little hair act isn't fooling me."