I'm not sleepy. It takes about an hour until Evangeline and Kevin are asleep. Only Jezebel is up and awake, with a leather-bound book on her lap, and the oil lamp in her gloved hand.

"Jezebel," I call quietly.

Jezebel sees me. "Oh. You're awake."

"Thanks. I didn't know," I say sarcastically.

Jezebel sighs. "Evangeline told me about you. She said that you're the kind of person who's so sarcastic, after a while of heated arguing, neither of you know whether you're actually fighting or flirting."

"No," I mutter quietly.

"Pardon?"

"No," I say, louder this time, and almost spit the small word in her face. "I don't and won't flirt with Evangeline."

Jezebel marks her book by folding the corner of the page, and shuts it. The small, sparkling flame of the lamp and its ever-changing patterns caused distinct parts of her face, like the tip of her nose and both her eyelids, to glow. "Really?"

"Honest. She's a fucking jerk."

"Interesting."

"Jezebel, I know that stereotype about a boy seeming to hate a girl, in order to conceal a crush for that girl. It's false. Had it been true, I'd have about a dozen girlfriends."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Jezebel quizzed. She's almost as smug as Evangeline, but less of a jerkass.

"I hate her, but only as an apprentice," I sigh. This girl doesn't get a thing. "Truth or dare?"

"Dare."

I don't know why, but I said, "Kiss me."

"What?" Jezebel's expression is incredibly hard to read. It can have been confusion, embarrassment, or angry poker face.

"Do you take the dare or not?"

"Orson Goldbloom, you fucking whore..."

"Do you take the dare?"

"Fine," Jezebel sighed with an excellent poker face. Then she leaned forwards and did the thing.

I can't say I felt anything from the kiss. It wasn't passionate or anything, and it didn't even last for any more than two seconds, but I rate it three out of five.

"Satisfied, you miserable, worthless meat sack they call an angel?" Jezebel snapped.

"How would you like me to answer?"

After a few more f-bombs, we go on. I pick a truth.

"Who would you kiss out of the four of us?" Jezebel asked.

"I'd kiss you, because I would never kiss Evangeline, and I'm not gay, so I can't kiss Kevin," I reply flatly. "Truth or dare?"

"Truth." She tucks a strand of red hair behind her ear with her gloved hand.

"Who would you kiss?" I truth.

Jezebel is silent for a bit. Then, her answer shocks me.

"I'd kiss Evan Youngspire."

What. The. Actual. Fuck. In. The. Name. Of. Jesus. Fucking. Christ. On. A. Bike?

"You'd kiss Evangeline?" I gasp, startled. "But…she's so much of a jerk, and she's a dud!"

"What's your point?" Jezebel sneers.

"I mean, why would you kiss Evangeline?" I manage to ask.

Jezebel shakes her head. "I was born this way."

We're both silent for a bit, as Jezebel waits for my reply, and I try not to be overwhelmed.

Well, at least the tension in the air is gone. I've always been awkward around girls: I had to be careful, distanced and self-aware. I had felt the same about Jezebel before, but would learning this secret make our awkward friendship better?

On the pro side, I won't be accused of being a flirt.

On the con side, though, I don't know how to react.

Fuck, this is so difficult!

"I see," I tell her.

Jezebel just nods.

"I'll have a dare," I tell her.

Jezebel grins. Even though I just like her as a friend, I find seeing her smile reassuring. "I dare you to tell those kids a porn story."

"They'll probably call tomorrow," I say. "Truth or dare?"

Jezebel asks for a truth, and I ask, "Single or taken?"

"Taken," Jezebel replies almost immediately. "I'm dating Amber Skyward. You know, the reporter."

"You mean that Virginia something?" I ask.

"That's her." Despite the dark, I think I see her blush.

"What is she like?" I ask.

Jezbel barely whispers the answer. "She's perfect."

I look around. Fortunately, Kev and Evangeline are fast asleep, deaf to our conversation.

Fortunately.

Turns out our fortune doesn't last long. The next morning, I wake to the morning sun and the sizzling smell of toast. I freshen up and grab a slice.

As I chew, I think of the mini psychopaths. Will they miss me and Evangeline- oh sorry, I mean, Miss Melody?

I snap out of my thoughts to the sound of screaming. It's Jezebel.

She's just clutching her cell phone and screaming like a lunatic.

"Jezebel Chesterfield! What happened?" Kev gasps.

"No…" Jezebel moans. "No…"

"Jezebel! What happened?" Evangeline asks.

"The devils," Jezebel manages to say.

"Go on," says Kev.

What is going on?

"They…they've got Amber." That's all Jezebel manages to say before she passes out.