Nine and A Half

(Lucas Finn POV)

I crouch behind a wall, listening to every word of the conversation.

"But why were you exiled?" asks the boy with chestnut-coloured skin.

The Shiram spits in his direction. "A pregnant angel was to be punished for treason. Her punishment was fifty lashes. I volunteered in her place."

Oh, really? I doubt it.

"That's good!" the girl with a long, dark braid says, but she's silenced by a glare.

"The All-Father exiled me. He believed by protecting the wrong from punishment, I had committed treason myself," the Shiram says bitterly.

"Your point?" asks the punk girl with shocking red hair.

"I was exiled because I did good!" the Shiram cries. "My wings were cut off, just like that Hamilton weakling!"

"Amber?" the punk girl cries. "Where is she?"

Those words knocked me out of a trance. Amber. I was on good terms with her father.

The Shiram shrugs it off. "I don't know. But Satan has offered me better. He has shown me the error of my ways. If no good comes out of doing good, then why do good at all?"

For a second, nobody says anything.

"I'm sorry, kids, but I cannot betray Satan, my master. I have to kill you. It will be quick, I promise." The Shiram raises his knife, but I know what to do. From what I've heard, Amber is missing, most likely dead. I don't want these kids to suffer the same fate.

I grab my shotgun and take carful aim. I can't miss.

The bang that follows slaughters my eardrums, but I'm too happy to care. I didn't miss.

One bullseye to little old Lukey.