Nineteen

The funeral is gloomy. Not many people, not even a decent hundred, show up at Jezebel and Amber's funeral.

As they were lovers, and died side by side, the All-Father arranged for the two to lie in a double coffin, side by side, hands still entwined.

Evangeline, Kev and I line up next to the wooden coffin. We are all dressed in black, and ready to say our last words to the girls.

I'm seriously unprepared. What do you say to someone you hate?

As it turns out, nobody really likes Jezebel or Amber. I note that only a few people actually say decent goodbyes, like the psychopaths in front of me.

Goodie murmurs farewell once it was his turn. I wonder why he even showed up. Did he think there would be candy or something? A boy, Jezebel's brother, who has been crying very hard, is still shocked towards his sister's heroism and sacrifice. He says, "You were a great friend and sister, lyezavel, even though you were horribly annoying at times. I'll miss you a lot."

As Kev approaches the coffin, thinking of what to say, Evangeline, who is standing in front of me, turns to me. "Come on, Ors. Please."

"Please what?"

"Go first. I just... can't bear it. I didn't treat Jezebel like the sister she deserved to be, and now, she's dead, and it's all too late. And I don't even like Amber. I helped organize the funeral, you know. I hope they like it."

Though I seriously doubt neither Jezebel nor Amber likes elaborate white roses, I say, "Chill, Evan. I'm sure both of them will be moved that you even bothered to arrange one for them."

Kev had went with a simple "Goodbye". Evan and I both move back, and it's Angus behind us. Angus approaches the coffin and silently spits into it. Then, Evangeline pushes me forward.

I approach the coffin slowly, and peep inside. Jezebel lies inside it. Her hair is parted to the left in a short side plait to hide a wound. Her eyes are closed, so they aren't glaring at me. Strange. She's smiling, not smugly, but peacefully, instead of smirking her usual smirk or sneering her usual sneer. Even stranger. But strangest of all, she is dressed neatly in a white T-shirt and trousers, unlike the cool, seedy girl I knew. And I am also pretty sure that Jezebel didn't like white at all.

Next to her lies her soulmate. Amber's eyes are now closed, like she's asleep, but the two are holding hands. Amber's clothing would have suited Jezebel more, but meh. Is this the same girl who tried to kill me, who escaped from the devils' holding cells single-handedly? Then where is her pained and determined expression? Where is the fearful bloodlust in her eyes?

Am I looking at the same girl? She looks so fake!

I tell Jezebel, "I still hate you. But let's just let these grudges go."

Then, I move on and choose my final words to Amber, which aren't exactly nice. "Go to hell, you beast." After all, she tried to kill Evangeline and I, and probably a few "traitors" as well. You can't tell me that she deserves to go to heaven after all that, right?

As I walk back to my seat in the front row in the audience (there's so little people, everybody sits in the front row), I watch Evangeline, wondering what she would say. As Evan is after me and dead last, every eye is upon her as she approaches the coffin nervously.

And Evangeline says the words that I'd never imagine come out of her ladylike mouth.

"Fuck you. Both of you."